Newest additions to the "flock"! Color/gender?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by magicpigeon, Jul 30, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Long story short it's the typical feedstore impulse buy but this time they had Quails!! [​IMG]

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In no way shape or form am I good at the quail gender thing and I'm 99% sure they're all mutt colors. Agree/disagree? [​IMG]

2. Little_Bigfoot

Little_Bigfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    the "yellow speckled one" aka italian id a female forsure the tuxedos i hae no idea have you seen any of them calling yet, if its a male it will stand up tall and let out a lound gargled? call.

3. Little_Bigfoot

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    also judging by the way they stand i have noticed my males have a lot more agressive stance than the females, so i would say the white one is a female and the dark tux {tibetan tuxedo?} is a male, but that is strictly a guess, you really cant tell unless you vent sex them or one starts laying eggs and the other crows.

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    good looking birds!

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Well...they are all either non-color sex-able, or I can't tell by the pics. You are going to have to vent sex, or buy yourself a 30 pack. [​IMG]

With coturnix, there is only one rule. If they lay an egg, then they are a hen.....Roos can act, like hens, and hens can act like roos, but only a hen can lay an egg.

On a side note: I'm 45.478% sure that the first bird on the left in the first pic is a hen. Check for eggs.

They are very lovely well kept birds!

6. Little_Bigfoot

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    the first one is definatley a female, on italians the male has a bib

7. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    I am going with 100% females. I got .02 cents on it.

why?

here is my theory.,

nothing to do with color. I am only reasoning...not looking for a championship argument [​IMG]

they look nice and plump, no battle scars... they look relaxed as if there is not a male in the bunch and they can't believe their luck.

Also, the feed store may not want any MDK or bloody heads on their hands and may have ordered all females from the breeder...

if we are just educated guessing, that's my deductive logic...

the only one looking at me funny is the Tuxedo, so that may be the deal breaker.

Solely, in my humble "opinion", which I keep in my back pocket- near my "...."

8. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Thanks!! [​IMG]

9. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:I'll see your .02 and raise you a dollar [​IMG]

I'm not bucking for a championship fight either, but I really doubt the feed store, let alone the breeder(EGG HATCHER) was even astute enough to order or deliver hens only. If they were, then they would not order, nor deliver, non color sex-able birds. I'm going to respectfully poo-poo that "THEORY", on the grounds that it's improbable !

I have absolutely no idea of the sex of any of the birds in question. They appear to be well kept birds, but other than that....un-sex-able to me!

10. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:I'll see your .02 and raise you a dollar [​IMG]

I'm not bucking for a championship fight either, but I really doubt the feed store, let alone the breeder(EGG HATCHER) was even astute enough to order or deliver hens only. If they were, then they would not order, nor deliver, non color sex-able birds. I'm going to respectfully poo-poo that "THEORY", on the grounds that it's improbable !

I have absolutely no idea of the sex of any of the birds in question. They appear to be well kept birds, but other than that....un-sex-able to me!

Roger that Joe! [​IMG] I got ya and call your dollar [​IMG] time will tell, and I agree- just guessing- I will be waiting for em to all lay eggs to see if I have to mail off $1.02, btw- where do you live, besides Quailville?

but, I shoulda left the 2nd premise out, you hooked it. I shoulda just stuck with #1 and big_foots spider senses and been more inductive... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deductive_reasoning

the
    way those "girls" look to me, we won't have to wait long to see who lays an egg [​IMG]

holler back, and magic pigeon, unfortunately for you, you are the ref... [​IMG]

go gators!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by