newest chick being picked on

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by veronichick, Sep 27, 2011.

1. veronichick

veronichick New Egg

Sep 27, 2011
    So I had my first broody hen this summer. None of the usual tricks worked, so i got her a baby..she was an excellent mother hen, very nurturing and protective. now, mom seems to have rejected her (shes about 3 months old) and the other batch of chikens who are just coming into laying age are also being mean. The hen is almost 2 and the others have been around since shortly before i got my broody hen her baby. The "mama" hen had 4 other companion hens but sadly they were all lost to predators over the summer.... So, back to my sad little chicken- last night she refused to go to the coop so i let her stay in our greenhouse, where she seemed content to perch by a mirror that is in there. They free range, and despite all the space, ALL of them chase her every time they see her. so sad. Does anyone have any suggestions??? THANX

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hormones are flying for the ones just coming into lay. You may have to keep your 3 month old separate til she gets a little bigger. I agree that plenty of space available should help. I've had about 6 clutches raised in the coop and haven't run into this problem, the chicks have been OK (though usually off by themselves) when mama stopped parenting, so I'm thinking the problem is the POL hormones, and / or there being just one chick.

I hope they all settle down soon for you.

And, welcome to BYC!

3. veronichick

veronichick New Egg

Sep 27, 2011
    thank you so much!!! my husband laughs but the little rejected gal just makes me sad!!! we had SERIOUS predation issues all summer long..sigh..lost 4 good lay-ers and nearly a dozen chicks before my hubby built me a "firt knox mini coop" guess my little one can be a greenhouse chick for a bit until she decides to return to the coop.. sure do appreciate the input! ps electric wire around the coop solved the problem- just hafta get them safely inside in the evenings...its crazy but a small radio turned to a rock station seems to deter the predators and my girls seem to like it..lol:)

4. mlward

mlward Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Tuscarora, NY
    I had a similar problem with some of my juveniles this year. I just kept them separate from the bigger girls, but in plain sight of them. Everyday I would put them in crate that was right next to the coop run fence. So, they all could see and get used to each other. And at night, I kept them in an enclosed area within the coop, also in plain view, so everybody could see each other. Eventually, the excitement wore off and after a few supervised visits in the open run, they were able to hold their own. There were still a few brief chases, but no full-on attacks. It's more time-consuming than just tossing them in and hoping for the best, but I think it works better. [​IMG]

5. HollidaySmith

HollidaySmith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Peru, Indiana
    Thanks for the info. i'm getting ready to increase my flock size and want to make sure to cover all the bases before they get here. :eek:)

6. veronichick

veronichick New Egg

Sep 27, 2011
    thank you for your input...after a 2 day "break" my little one decided to go back to the big coop last night. Thankfully other than chasing, no actual pecking or bloodshed has occurred. The "middles" are starting to lay and i am hopeful that if i can endure the pecking order process (it seems to bother me more than my little one) all will be well... I am trying a suggestion about hanging a head of cabbage for them to "attack"...Intersetingly, mom hen and the little one are the only takers, but at least they are back to grazing in proximity to each other!!! Hope you all have a great day, and thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by