Newest Member Here

blklangshandude

Songster
8 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Hubert North Carolina
Hello Chicken Friends,

I have a pretty healthy level of obsession over chickens. I have been told that I take life too seriously and I needed to find a hobby. This is advice that I have ignored for years. Now I finally found a healthy hobby that I enjoy and makes the rest of my life a lot easier to tolerate. This forum will provide a great outlet for me to discuss something that really interests me. Here is a list of my chicken collection: (I have 19 total.)

2 Black Langshan Cockerels
1 Black Silkie Rooster
1 Silkie Mix Rooster (He has a Single Comb but Silky feathers and black skin)
1 Buff Orpington Hen (I think she is a retired layer. I've had her for two months and no eggs)
1 White Silkie Hen
3 White Leghorn pullets
2 Black Langshan pullets
2 Red Star pullets
2 Rhode Island Red Pullets
1 Barred Rock Pullet
1 Black Star Pullet
1 Turken Pullet
1 Serama Pullet

Please be nice to me. I'm kinda new. I'll learn the rules soon enough. :)

BlkLangshanDude

I'LL be kind. For one thing you have 4 roosters. A rooster can handle 10 hens. You would need 40 hens to keep the roosters busy enough, so they don't abuse the same few hens over and over. Or you could rehome some of the roosters.

Do you plan to raise any purebred chicks? If so you would have breeding pens with a rooster and hens of the same breed. They would need to be in an escape proof run(cover on top) so you know a different rooster didn't come and visit the girls. They would also have to be separated inside the coop or have a coop designated just for that one breed.

If you don't plan on raising chicks or selling fertile eggs, you don't need a rooster. Many times they end up being a big problem and stress the hens badly. Peace usually reigns once the roosters gone.

The Learning Center is a good place to start, then you might visit the various forums that interest you. Let us know what you would like to do with your flock, sell eggs, show some, make house pets out of the smaller ones, whatever - we will do our best to help your reach your goals. Thank you for joining the BYC flock

I'LL be kind.  For one thing you have 4 roosters.  A rooster can handle 10 hens.  You would need 40 hens to keep the roosters busy enough, so they don't abuse the same few hens over and over.  Or you could rehome some of the roosters.

Do you plan to raise any purebred chicks?  If so you would have breeding pens with a rooster and hens of the same breed. They would need to be in an escape proof run(cover on top) so you know a different rooster didn't come and visit the girls. They would also have to be separated inside the coop or have a coop designated just for that one breed.

If you don't plan on raising chicks or selling fertile eggs, you don't need a rooster.  Many times they end up being a big problem and stress the hens badly. Peace usually reigns once the roosters gone.

The Learning Center is a good place to start, then you might visit the various forums that interest you.  Let us know what you would like to do with your flock, sell eggs, show some, make house pets out of the smaller ones, whatever - we will do our best to help your reach your goals.  Thank you for joining the BYC flock

My two black Langshan cockerels are only about 10 weeks old. I have heard that breed of rooster doesn't reach full maturity until about 18 months. I think I have a little time to figure out what to do with them. The mixed rooster came with the white silkie hen. I didn't want him but I didn't want to upset the seller because I really wanted the silkie hen. I have only had them a few days. The two rooster hate each other. The mixed rooster is sleeping outside the pen until I figure out what to do with him. I am having a hard time understanding the process of breeding pure bred chickens. I would like to breed the black Langshans but I have read so many bad things about inbreeding. I got all four of my black langshans from the same place. It's very likely they are siblings or half siblings. I'm not sure how to find other black Langshan breeders without travelling long distances.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. We are all chicken obsessed here, and I hope we are all kind. You have a wonderful mix of breeds. I have had most of the breeds on your list over the years, and the Black Sex Links (Black Stars, which technically are hybrids and not a breed) are my favorites. They are hardy, friendly, egg laying machines. I have raised them for years and they have consistently been my best layers, frequently churning out over 300 eggs per bird per year. X2 on drumstick diva's advice regarding roosters. Too many roosters can be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. That 10 to 1 ratio is very important, particularly as the roosters get older. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

X2 on drumstick diva's advice regarding roosters. Too many roosters can be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. That 10 to 1 ratio is very important, particularly as the roosters get older.

I didn't get that second rooster on purpose. He is a silkie ix. He came with a white silkie hen. I didn't want to offend the seller because I really wanted the white silkie hen. He stays outside the pen by himself. The other two are only 10 weeks old.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

I agree with the other posters that it would be a good idea to either get more hens, or sell 1-2 of your roosters. Otherwise, the hens may become overmated and stressed out.

:welcome  Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. :)

I agree with the other posters that it would be a good idea to either get more hens, or sell 1-2 of your roosters. Otherwise, the hens may become overmated and stressed out.

That sounds like a good idea. lol. Do people buy roosters?

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

You've received good advice already from the other posters in regards to your roosters.

Back
Top Bottom