Newest Member of BYC (Pics)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenkeeperUS, Jul 31, 2014.

1. chickenkeeperUS

chickenkeeperUS Chirping

Jul 31, 2014
    Washington
    Hi there. I currently have 8 hens and raise few rabbits myself. I am new to BYC website and would like to introduce myself and my flock. I had hens before, but ended up giving them new homes due to the fact I was living at my uncles and finally got my own place with my parents. Now we built a chicken coop and managed to get 8 beautiful hens. I love chickens because they are so much fun to have and to watch. I love the idea of collecting fresh eggs everyday and it saves money on having to buy eggs everyday at the Market. We are not allowed to have a rooster due to the fact of where we live with the neighbors being so close, which I dont mind as much, cause roosters tend to be loud and scary. I also raise rabbits as pets (we do not eat rabbit meat) and I love it. Have sold many. Those are my only outside pets. I also have a rottweiler mix puppy and a cat. I love animals and the whole farm idea. Wanted to say hello to everyone! My name is Tina. Glad to be part of the BYC crew!

FEW PICS OF THE RABBITS.
    [​IMG]Youngster (sold)
    [​IMG]Youngster (sold)
    [​IMG]Buck (Breeder) My big boy
    [​IMG]Some of the girls <3

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Hi Tina and [​IMG]. I really like your rabbits, especially the lop eared one. Your hens look very healthy and happy. I don't care for roosters myself. Glad you are in a situation now where you can keep your hens. If you have questions just ask.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Tina! Glad you decided to join our flock. You're rabbits are cute. My daughter used to raise Netherland Dwarf rabbits and kept the local pet stores supplied. You have some very pretty hens as well; I especially like the Red Sex Link (upper left with the white tail feathers). Sex Links are egg laying machines. Like drumstick diva, I don't care much for the problems roosters frequently bring with them. When you really get down to it, the only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many of them). If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

4. chickenkeeperUS

chickenkeeperUS Chirping

Jul 31, 2014
    Washington
    Thank you very much! Right, I thought I'd share some pictures of the rabbits I have, so that people are aware that I also raise rabbits and dont only keep chickens. I just added two new huge rabbits to my addition, of which am very pleased with! Thank you once again, and will keep that in mind :)

5. chickenkeeperUS

chickenkeeperUS Chirping

Jul 31, 2014
    Washington
    Thank you Michael! Wow, thats amazing. I like raising rabbits to see what the beautiful outcome will be. Right, most of my hens are all the same color, and I only have two different colored (white one, black one). I have been told sex links are great egg layers as well. They are also very friendly. Right, roosters are mostly for breeding, which I have a limit to how much I can keep here and with the neighbors being so close, more hens and a rooster would create lots of noise. So, Im just gonna stick to my beautiful girls. Thank you very much, will keep in that mind. What do you use for your bedding for chicken coop (you have chickens right?) cause we currently are using hay/stray.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Your rabbits are lovely! My son is trying to talk me into getting some and I must admit, it's tempting...

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

What lovely bunnies you have! They look so soft and happy. I have never kept rabbits but have thought about it over the years.

Enjoy all your critters and welcome to our flock!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Very pretty rabbits!

1 person likes this.
  9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

AWE!! I love those bunnies!! Have you ever put them with your chicks? I did with my guinea pigs!
    [​IMG]
    Your flock is lovely too!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I just have a fine pea gravel (very smooth small stones) at the depth of a two-by-four's width over the floor of the coop (it covers the hardware cloth that's laid across the ground underneath). However, I have pine shavings in the nesting tunnels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: