Newfoundland dog saves a bunch of ducklings!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chick_a_dee, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Last year we decided we wanted to get into breeding Newfoundland dogs, and so we bought a pregnant and MASSIVE Gentle Giant Landseer Newfoundlander, called Chandler from a local breeder. We sold her puppies, and she then went to live her whole life at our farm out west. ANYWAY, A few weeks ago we got a call from our business partner/family friend, who told us the most AMAZING story ever!

Chandler had shot off into the road, and even though it's just a dirt road that's really only an access road through a farmers field, we were freaked out. Turns out, she had noticed a bunch of little ducklings wading in some flooding, HOWEVER they had got their legs caught in old crops that were just under the water, and were all drowning! Chandler jumped into the water, and saved every single duckling one by one, she carried them all one by one back to the house in her mouth, and she was SO proud of herself!

So, if you're looking for a fantastic guarder, and farm dog.... Newfoundlanders are the way to go [​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    What a great story. I love the happy endings rather the slaughter of the duckies. I love Newfies,, I'd love to have one! If I'd have known I was going to lose my mama Pyr, I'd have taken one I was offered. Thank you so much for such a wonderful story.
    Kate

3. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:Newfs are so awesome, I wasn't going to believe the stories of them rescuing people right away, but I did some research after the incident, and found out that one Newfie actually died during one of the wars after saving his entire regiment/group of soldiers. You will NOT believe this, he saved them by picking up a live grenade in his mouth, and running away from the 50 something soldiers with it, he died, but was awarded the victorias cross or something, Definitely the highest ranking medal possible.

INCREDIBLE right? There was another case where a Newfie saved an entire ship of sailors.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I believe it.

5. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Chandler is so fantastic, that we ended up buying a Newfoundland Stud from a breeder in America, he's a bronze Landseer Newfoundlander, and weighs somewhere around 180lbs.

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    amazing story! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by