Newish from Southeast Queensland, Aus.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Teegan92, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Teegan92

Teegan92 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Hi,
    Im new to chickens on my own but as a kid Mum had heaps. I used to absolutely despise them because the Rhode Island Reds are a bit loco (I blame it on the fact she feeds them cooked chicken!! Ick) But since getting my own Silkies and Australorp I'm getting a bit obsessed and can see why mother dearest always kept them :)

I've got 3 White Silkie's; One Hen (Celine) and 2 Pullets (Sylvia & Cilantro), and an Australorp Chick named Chaz :)
    Celine has asserted herself as number 1 in the pecking order and is more of an irritable big sister than mother figure but will soon be living on her own if she doesnt stop digging holes in the yard to roll around in.
    Sylvia is the most calm and goes with the flow whereas her twin sister Cilantro is a bit of an oddball (We suspect she was possibly dropped as an egg lol)
    Cilly as i call her now likes being sat on by Celine and constantly trying to swim in the water dish. And then there's lil bub Chaz, a noisey lil thing with a penchant for nibbling my Tragus bars and sitting on my shoulder whenever she can. Shes also developed a sleeping pattern of laying on her back, feet up in the air which scares me half to death in the mornings when i think she's kicked the bucket; a prankster 1 week old.

So there's my kooky clan, we're odd and dysfunctional but we function :)

If anyone has any tips on how to raise lil Chaz the right way that I may have missed feel free to let me know :)

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC :)

3. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad yiu joined us!

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

Great to see other Aussies here, I'm in Adelaide. :D
    Your chickens sound very amusing.
    As for Chaz, you could get her a friend or two, I always find when putting younger chickens into the big flock it's always better if there's more than one.

Good luck and enjoy the site!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    1 person likes this.
  7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Teegan92, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us - Love your chicken names!! Good luck to you!

8. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome Teegan

West Gippsland here!

xxxx

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I've got a big grin reading this. Oh the joys of week-old chicks! There's the Fall Asleep In Any Pose Death Charade, OhMyGod A Seizure Dust Bathing Wiggle & Flap, the Super-Secret Morse Code Message Tap On Brooder Walls, and King Of The Waterer Games. Plus The Zoomies! When they suddenly take off a full speed to zig zag all around the brooder. This will trigger the other chicks into their own Zoomies.

"Whoa! They sure got the Zoomies today, don't they!".

10. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined. Enjoyed your intro-very cute

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by