Newish member into

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by msroser, Aug 24, 2014.

1. msroser

msroser New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    Berkeley, CA
    Hello, I joined about 1 1/2 years ago and I now realize I was supposed to do an intro post.

I'm in Berkeley, CA with a husband, two kids, two cats, and currently four backyard hens.

I grew up in a small town in central CA. We had chickens and it was always my job to take care of them. (It turns out this was because my mom, born and raised on a farm, was afraid of the rooster, but more on that later perhaps.)

Fast forward to living in urban Berkeley. My kids' public elementary school had chickens as part of the Edible Schoolyard project, and I volunteered to care for them when the science teacher was away.

On one of my visits I noticed a little hen who would not come out of the nesting box. She was in there head first and the other chickens were mercilessly pecking her tail feathers out.

I am familiar with the pecking order but this seemed extreme, so I asked the science teacher about her. The teacher had adopted the hen recently but the flock was not accepting her, so she was looking to rehome her. And that's how I got started in the chicken business with my first hen, Scarlett. The teacher told me she was an Orpington, but now that I have a real Orpington, I realize Scarlett was a Rhode Island Red. She is my avatar photo and will always be my favorite chicken.

After Scarlett was acclimated and began laying regularly, we added Belle, as sex linked Red, and Belle and Scarlett were buddies and fairly good layers for a couple of years.

Scarlett died unexpectedly this spring of apparently natural causes, so we were down to just Belle. Then a coworker of my husband's offered him three just-feathered chicks. They had raised a dozen baby chicks expecting a 50% mortality rate and instead had a 0% mortality rate, so they had too many!

We adopted Buffy, an Orpington, and Betsy and Feathers, black/white Rocks. I think you can tell my kids named them.

Over the two years I've been a backyard chicken farmer, I've learned a lot. We've had a mite infestation, molting, brooding, jelly eggs, hawk attacks, destroyed herb gardens (learned the hard way that free ranging is not for us!) and attempted skunk invasions. But we've also had delicious eggs, sometimes hilarious chicken drama and a real education for my kids about where at least part of their food comes from.

I've learned a lot from this forum in my times of need and I really appreciate you all sharing your knowledge.

Rose

1 person likes this.
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sure sounds like you have learned a lot over the years! Sorry you lost Scarlet. But you gave her a wonderful home.

Our birds sure do teach us a lot over time. But the more we know, the better stewards we are to our flock.

Enjoy all your adventures with your birds and welcome to our flock!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about your loss! Sounds like you've learned a lot.

Glad you joined us!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

6. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    hello[​IMG] awwwwwww sound's like you gave her a good life,enjoy your flock!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by