Newly acquired Buckling has Scurs?

dlamb82

Songster
Jan 19, 2019
Orange, VA
Hello! Looking for some insight and advice on what I think are scurs on my Buckling my husband brought home today. He was born January 10th so he’s a little over 5 months old. We are new to goats and I didn’t go with my husband and we had not seen him in person before. Anyways my husband got home with him about and hour and a half ago and I was trying to get him settled in and calmed down and check him over. He definitely has scurs or horns growing on his head I just don’t know enough about goats yet to know if these are scurs or true horn regrowth. I am debating contacting a vet to see how much to have them removed either way. My husband suggested I just post him and see if we can recoup our money and we’ll look for another Buckling. Advice and suggestions?

Attachments

• 0CE2E732-71BB-445E-ADCA-D158926CE8E7.jpeg
    0CE2E732-71BB-445E-ADCA-D158926CE8E7.jpeg
    510.7 KB · Views: 22
  • E2B7E192-1B1D-4BEC-950E-CCD2D64EA7A9.jpeg
    E2B7E192-1B1D-4BEC-950E-CCD2D64EA7A9.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 412E2D85-25A3-4AF8-80C5-10AB2DCC81E5.jpeg
    412E2D85-25A3-4AF8-80C5-10AB2DCC81E5.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 15
  • F163773F-AE7F-4F71-96D7-5FF289731DDD.jpeg
    F163773F-AE7F-4F71-96D7-5FF289731DDD.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 15
Poor little guy, those are unfortunately scurs. I’ve handled goats before and this definitely is a scur. Poor little fella, I hope this helped.

I’ve read they can be popped off and then reburned, I’ve read they have to be surgically removed, I’ve read you can leave them alone and refile them....I would prefer not to leave them there....I’ve reached out to a veterinarian and hoping to hear back on Monday.

I’ve read they can be popped off and then reburned, I’ve read they have to be surgically removed, I’ve read you can leave them alone and refile them....I would prefer not to leave them there....I’ve reached out to a veterinarian and hoping to hear back on Monday.

That’s great, I am glad he’s under good hands. Enjoy your little buck!

Poor little buddy :hit there's a homestead channel on YouTube called weed em and weep you may be able to disbud him using their method if the vet agrees instead of surgery but considering the age it might be painful now as there is probably nerve growth in the scurs
Good luck at the vet:hugs I have had a baby goat with scurs before even though the vet did it unfortunately she was not experienced in disbuding baby goats and and all but one had horn regrowth

Poor little buddy :hit there's a homestead channel on YouTube called weed em and weep you may be able to disbud him using their method if the vet agrees instead of surgery but considering the age it might be painful now as there is probably nerve growth in the scurs
Good luck at the vet:hugs I have had a baby goat with scurs before even though the vet did it unfortunately she was not experienced in disbuding baby goats and and all but one had horn regrowth
The vet I reached out to specializes in large animals and herd animals and does home visits so I know they’re familiar, I’m just not sure what they’ll say. Have to wait and see I guess...:idunno

Scurs will continue to grow. It is best to get them removed because they get caught on things and are a general nuisance. If they are small, they can be clipped off and the area reburned with a dehorning iron. It hurts, but the pain is very short lived. Once the scurs are removed, watch carefully and reburn at the very first sign of regrowth. Make sure the animal is current on its tetanus shots.

Back
Top Bottom