Newly adicted to raising my chickies!!!!

Connies352

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
I recently started with 4 chickens I bought from the local flea market.(I know better now) Then bought another 4 from a locale chicken raiser(much better) Then I bought 6 red stars from a local breeder (even better) I thought I was getting smarter but then bought eight from another breeder that wasn't so up and up and I have no idea what they are(other than cute) Two passed away at 3 weeks from a cold spell and broken light. Two of the remaining are RIR for sure, and One is a black sex link, The remaining three are one white, one gray, and one is solid black( maybe another black sex link), They were hatched out on the 21 of February. I could possibly post pics later this week for more help. Then at my birthday dinner last night my father gave ma a box with three little chicks in it(I was so excited) but they have no clue what kind they are. they hatched on this past Friday, they are black, with white buts, and white spots on their heads and white trim around edge of wings. I can possibly post pics of those also. I also received a RIR from a co worker that had one roaming free in their neighborhood so he brought it to me. and I bought a rooster so as to boost egg production only(not breeding) This is my total chicken experience,
Personally I live in central Florida and have referred to your site a multitude of times in my building and caring for my chickens. I am excited to get lots more eggs and was thinking of getting some meet chickens when all my chicks are grown up.

images

Welcome to BYC!

So sorry for your losses. But it sounds like you have definitely passed the Chicken Math course!! We are so glad you could join our community. Feel free to post pics of your birds and if you have any questions, that is what we are here for.

So make yourself at home and welcome to our flock!

Welcome :)

I'm new to chickens and as the other two posts stated I am great at chicken math as well!!

Bought 15 from a local feed store, 1 more a week later AND ordered 24 more online to arrive next week.... I figured it out they are SO small and SO cute it's easy to go over board. I am already selecting some I know I will be selling at around the 5 month age so I won't have them over crowded!

Please post pictures, they sound super cute and sorry for your losses....

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Update on my progress, another of my 10 week olds was found dead this evening when I got home, it was walking around this morning when I left for work and I found it in the house pecked up.
Im going to post picks of the ones I have questions about breed if you can help it would be great.

This one I was told was a phoenix, aruacana cross and would lay green eggs, no green eggs so not laying? according to the lady she said it should be 7 months.

This one supposedly 8 months and is leghorn, RIR cross but lady didn't have any white RIR. She is laying huge White eggs.

This was to be an araucana and 7 months old, again not getting any eggs but white and brown. I don't think shes old enough to lay yet, is there a way to tell if they are laying or not?

This white one is one of the remaining little ones with no idea what they are because defiantly not what he told me they were.

This gray one is the one in question, The second gray one was the one that died today, the two browns to her left are the two RIR that were part of the same batch, but im pretty sure that they are RIR.
TThis black one is the one in the same group, it has some dark brown on her chest so im pretty sure this is the black sexlink that he was talking about, There where two of them is original batch.

The babies I got have been identified as barred rocks but posting n e wy cause they are cuties
Any help I can get is great, just starting and should have checked this site out before buying any, but mark it up to experience cause it wont happen again.

Thaniks Connie

Back
Top Bottom