Newly arrived chick not doing well.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cbascom, Feb 3, 2014.

1. cbascom

cbascom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Phelan, Calif.
    Just got my shipment of chicks this morning. Everyone is looking fine, except one that I think is an EE pullet. She is unable to stand, her eyes are closed. One wing appears smaller than the other, unless that's an illusion caused by the way she's holding it. She is peeping and took a little sugar water from a spoon. I have her separated from the others in the house. What else can I do? I wonder if I should just cull her now? [​IMG]

2. cbascom

Mar 4, 2012
    Phelan, Calif.
    Forgot to add, when left to her own devices, she seems to wind up on her back with wings and legs thrown out to the sides. I was thinking spraddle leg, but aren't they usually ok other than can't walk?

3. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Can you take and post pictures? Do you have Sav-a-chick electrolytes? Or the chick stress tablets to add to water? May need the water, electrolytes, vitamins to help stabilize after shipping or moved to new home.

Make sure is warm enough, a small mirror, and a chick safe stuffy toy to cuddle with. Water and feed, may need to dip beak. Hope she/ he gets better soon. I love the lil nuggets.

4. cbascom

Mar 4, 2012
    Phelan, Calif.
    [​IMG]

I don't know how well you can tell in this photo, but she is much stronger. I don't have any electrolyte, ordered from hatchery, but it didn't arrive with the chicks. I will go get some in a little while from the feed store. She is trying to stand now, her legs don't go out to the side, but her toes seem curled. If I support her body, she stands, but toes, both feet but the right is worse, keep curling up. She takes the sugar water from a spoon and has pecked a little at the chick starter. How often do I need to give her water?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She needs vitamins and electrolytes. Toe curling can be a sign of riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency. Since she is perking up, I would keep getting her to drink. She may need some help staying upright with a chick cup. Below is a chick cup designed by artsyrobin. Here is a great site to read about foot and leg problems: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  6. cbascom

Mar 4, 2012
    Phelan, Calif.
    So the little one is getting stronger. I gave her some grow gel, and she ate a few bites. I gave her a stuffed animal and she is using it to help her stand up. Fingers crossed!

7. cbascom

Mar 4, 2012
    Phelan, Calif.
    Ok, so not spraddle leg...or at least not just spraddle leg. She is worse again. Poor motor control, can't hold her head still, arches neck backward. Tremors. She seems to try to stand, but just thrashes around. She will still drink sugar water but is not eating at all. I'm out of ideas...anyone????? I have read that chicks who do poorly are never thrifty if they survive. I lost another chick from this shipment about an hour ago, another EE pullet. That one was quite a bit smaller than everyone else. Also probably going to loose a little turken roo. He drinks but is getting less and less active as the day progresses.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  9. cbascom

Mar 4, 2012
    Phelan, Calif.
    Just saw a video about wry neck. That looks exactly like what she's doing. I was reading about the treatment,with vitamins. The grow gel and the quick chick I have been giving her all day have every thing the article was calling for. So, is there any chance she can get better if she has not already? Will she ever be healthy? Not to be cruel, but my chickens are not pets. they are livestock I am fond of. I don't want to condem her to a second rate life.
    Please anyone advice????

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Realsis has treated wry neck in her silkies, so maybe she will see this and comment, or you could pm her. From what I have read, some get better quickly, but some take along time if they get better. Many times it depends on the cause.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by