Newly hatched babies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pam Allan, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Pam Allan

Pam Allan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    I just discovered my cornish hen who has been AWOL for about 2 weeks has hatched a bunch of babies in the front yard. We have rat snakes and other predators. I wonder - should I move her to a rabbit cage (pretty large) along with the babies and unhatched eggs for them to be safer - or should I just leave her alone?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    It would be safer for her if you did that, in my opinion. Even other chickens will kill the chicks.....

3. Pam Allan

Pam Allan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    I just moved them to the cage - I feel better - I think mama does too. I moved the eggs too - there were 4 unhatched - thankfully I was out there fitting the poultry netting over the cage to keep the snakes out when I heard a pop and sure enough one of the eggs had popped - Yuck - anyway - I got it out in a hurry and disposed of it - boy do those things stink! If the others haven't hatched by tomorrow night - I'm removing them. It's so hot here I don't want anymore rotten eggs under her and all over the babies. She's sitting on them now - they are soooo cute. Mama is a Cornish hen and daddy is an Austrolorps. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by