Newly hatched baby chick panting with wing droop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TAXMFARMER, Feb 16, 2015.

1. TAXMFARMER

TAXMFARMER New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    CHick hathed 4 days ago. He was perfectly healthy, no issues. Put him in the brooder with the others, was not picked on or anything. 24 hours ago, we found him standing, with his wings drooping, and he is panting, bad. Moved him to the incubator with no water in it, and he was still panting the temp is down to 95, no change. He doesn't want to open his eyes at all, and he falls asleep standing up. His last poo had no food in it, it was kinda mucusy. But he hasnt been eating either, so maybe thats why?

So far i have syringe fed him within the last 24 hours:
    Sav a chic
    Small amount of selenium
    Vitamin e capsule drop
    Poly vi sol

I also injected duramycin last night.

He is in the incubator now. No change. Please help. I am so scared for him.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

For the first week of life the brooder temp should be 90-95 (I find they usually prefer the cool side) with room to get away from the heat - so a cooler spot in the brooder to retreat to.

It is OK if you are using a large space and the heat under the lamp is higher than the 90-95. But for a very small brooder you have to make sure they are not overheating.

Decrease by 5 degrees for every week of life until fully feathered, usually around 6 weeks. I hope this helps!

3. TAXMFARMER

TAXMFARMER New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    Our brooder is huge! We made it 4 feet long, with the heat lamp at the far side of one end, they hang out between the lamp and the middle of the brooder, never on the "cold" side of the brooder. This new chick can walk, but was right under the lamp when we found him panting. He seems sick, it really doesnt seem like heat to me, i just mentioned it just in case. He is not in the brooder, i had to move him back to the incubator to keep him away from the others.

4. ChickensAreSweet

If it isn't overheating as the sole problem I am sorry I don't know what is wrong.

Hopefully he gets better soon. I am thinking there is nothing else you can do at this point except offering liquids as you have been. You might try the super stressed sugar water recipe near the bottom of the page at McMurray's advice page:

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

But I don't know what is in Sav a chick...if it is vitamins or already has sugar in it. If it already has sugar in it I wouldn't add more.

5. TAXMFARMER

TAXMFARMER New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    THank you chickens are sweet for your advice. Im thinking cocci? I only have sulmet on hand but i see it is hard on the chicks? Im so lost :(

6. ChickensAreSweet

http://www.millerhatcheries.com/Information/Diseases/coccidiosis.htm

Hmm I was thinking they were a bit too young but this link says one strain can cause illness three days after infection. Transmission into the brooder is possible on hands/equipment.

I have never used Sulmet. I always use Corid. Yes I too have read it is hard on chickens (the Sulmet).

You know I have seen so many chicks act that way from shipping stress and sadly they usually don't make it. So I am thinking that you don't have much to lose to try to save him if he is looking very bad even after your attempt to syringe-feed him.

Go with your gut, whatever it says.

7. TAXMFARMER

TAXMFARMER New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    I really do appreciate it. We have chickens outside, so there is some risk of contamination from outside coming in. I did end up trying the sulmet. Honestly, his eyes have been closed shut for over a day now, panting, weak. I really see nothing to loose at this point. He is still here, so im still trying.
    Im giving pedialyte and polyvisol vitamins. I tried to feed him a crumble mash, and hard boiled eggs, but he doesnt want any part of it.

8. TAXMFARMER

TAXMFARMER New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    I noticed he is standing alot as well. not sure what that means? Just standing and panting, then laying and panting.

9. ChickensAreSweet

I'm still hoping he makes it!!

10. TAXMFARMER

TAXMFARMER New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    He is still here, not better, but definitely not worse either. Ill keep doing what im doing and give him a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by