Newly hatched call duckling isn't moving, please help!

tiffysahn

Hatching
This morning about 9:00 we discovered our call duck eggs had hatched. Mum had left the nest with 3 babies and when I checked there was one more in there. He was still slightly damp so he may have hatched after mum had gone. He was quite cool so I picked him up and put him on a towel with a heat pack under him. About 3 times since I've dribbled a glucose-water solution over his beak which he seems to be taking a bit of. It's now 8pm and he is still just lying there, only peeping or moving when touched. I'm very worried.

This morning about 9:00 we discovered our call duck eggs had hatched. Mum had left the nest with 3 babies and when I checked there was one more in there. He was still slightly damp so he may have hatched after mum had gone. He was quite cool so I picked him up and put him on a towel with a heat pack under him. About 3 times since I've dribbled a glucose-water solution over his beak which he seems to be taking a bit of. It's now 8pm and he is still just lying there, only peeping or moving when touched. I'm very worried.
@RavynFallen

After getting up to him several times during the night to reheat his heat pack, he was dead this morning.
Unfortunately his 3 siblings look like they've been taken by a crow or butcher bird late yesterday. We are all devastated.

After getting up to him several times during the night to reheat his heat pack, he was dead this morning.
Unfortunately his 3 siblings look like they've been taken by a crow or butcher bird late yesterday. We are all devastated.
I am very sorry for your losses. Were the 3 with their mama?

Yes Miss Lydia, they were. We thought that was best but maybe it wasn't.
It can be an iffy situation when ducklings are with their mamas out on the ground but I let mine do it too. Thankfully I've never had any taken or killed before. I do like mine to live as much a natural life as possible though , Maybe next time keep mom and ducklings in a small area with a top if you have birds that prey on babies. Once they are bigger they aren't as easy a target.

Back
Top Bottom