Newly hatched chick abandoned?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mikes.chickens, Jun 3, 2008.

1. mikes.chickens

mikes.chickens New Egg

Jun 3, 2008
    Hello, we are new to the forum. We have about 35 free range chickens and a rooster. There were 2-3 broody's at a time on several eggs in one nest. One hatched 3 days ago. Baby doing fine out in the hen yard with all the big girls. A second hatched today and was left completely alone, peeping it's heart out! All the broody's were out in the hen yard ignoring it. We thought it had been abandoned and brought it in for a while, then, at dusk, we took it back to the nest and Presto! All 3 broodies were back in the nest. So we put the 3 day old chick in there with them, as they had left it alone, then slipped the newly hatched chickie in. They all seemed okay with this arrangement, no pecking, no feathers raised, all appears good. Any advice or input for us? Our chickens live a very primitive life compared to other posts we've seen. Happy to be a part of the crowd.
    All

2. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Hello and welcome:welcome. I am also new to chickens, but it sounds like you did the right thing. I just had my first chicks hatch under 3 broodys all is well so far. [​IMG]

3. mikes.chickens

mikes.chickens New Egg

Jun 3, 2008
    Cool....aren't they cute? I just love to hear them peep and see their cute little new feathers. Our newest one is as yellow as a duck!!

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Awww.......pics??? Good luck with the new babies and welcome. I am sure you will find you are not the most primative with your chickies. Everyone here does things a bit different. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by