Newly hatched chick acting wierd...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CaraStrong, Jan 31, 2015.

1. CaraStrong

CaraStrong Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2014
    Hello, I need some help...
    I have a newly hatched chick who hatched early this morning. It got out of the egg just fine, however, it seems to be struggling more than a normal chick does. it kinda rolls around and then catches it's feet under it and then sits. BUT, when it sits it moves its head upwards and then eventually will fall backwards. This happens over and over again... I don't know what is wrong with it. It is also very loud and chirps A LOT! This chick is a cross breed of a silkie too, if that matters.

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Have you been able to check over it's legs for spraddle leg or curled toes?

3. CaraStrong

Sep 29, 2014
    So I didn't know what that was so I googled it and it might be that maybe... But why would it be starring up and basically laying it's head on it's back? It is really odd.... I was kind of even thinking it might be retarded? How can I add pics on here so I can show you?

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I am computer challenged, sorry. I will try to get instructions you can understand.....Is your chick eating and drinking ok? Sorry for not posting sooner. Work[​IMG] takes up my time.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your chick sounds like it may have stargazing or encephalomalacia, which is similar to wry neck, and is from a vitamin E and selenium deficiency. I would get some poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-Drench and give the chick 1ml daily by mouth. You can also use other vitamins, but since most don't contain selenium, you will need to feed it a little egg daily.

6. CaraStrong

Sep 29, 2014
    Thank you! Yes, I believe it is wry neck of sorts after looking that up. I am using an eye dropper to administer it's vitamins and electrolytes. We bought a pouch from the feed store awhile back and I am hoping it will be sufficient for it. I am also feeding the baby raw egg yolk. should I be cooking it? I've read others are scrambling it...

Thanks for your help!

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The egg doesn't have to be cooked. In older chicks, scrambled or boiled egg is very attractive to them. Any vitamin meant for poultry is good. Some people will even use PolyVisol without Iron baby vitamins2-3 drops a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by