Newly hatched chick and heating element in bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by johnmayersquare, Dec 1, 2008.

1. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    It seems awfully close to the chicks head when he stretches his neck...........is it possible for them to burn themselves on the heating element?? [​IMG]

2. encmanerabbitry

encmanerabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    If they can reach it, it CAN burn them.

3. johnmayersquare

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    It seems the two that have now hatched are constantly bumping their heads and beaks into the heating element of the LG..........has this not happened to anyone else.........what do I do??? I'm sure they are getting burned??!!!

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

sorry,, i dont have "sound" advice for ya,,, same thing happened to me,, even tho your not suppose to,, i got mad, and yanked my chicks out,, it ruined the last 5 that was in there tho,,, then,, i got rid of my lg's.
    are you using the carton method?, or just got them laying in there?,, i was using the cartons, and thats why they could reach the element,, without the cartons none of them ever touched it,,that i saw.
    what kind of chicks?

5. johnmayersquare

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    I just have the eggs laying on the screen in there........should I have taken the screen out???? They are BLRW and a couple of mutts from my own flock(BO Rooster and a variety of hens).

6. the1much

Quote:nope,,, ya need that screen in there,,, wow,, i didnt think a chick could reach the element unless it was standing on something,,, well hopefully someone that has had it happen and "fixed" the problem ( better then i did) will give us some insight.

7. the1much

P.S.
    the only time it would REALLY burn them is if it was on the second they touched it,, it doesnt stay on all the time,,, and even if they do time it right,, it really isnt THAT hot,, ya figure its already 100 degrees in there, so when it has to heat up, it barely gets time to hit 95 before the temp is right and its back off.

8. encmanerabbitry

encmanerabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    I've burnt myself on mine, so it is hot. I would try not to take out the chicks out because of the other eggs, but it might be the only thing to do. Just make sure you've got water ready to keep the humidity up.

They must be tall, I've never seen any be able to reach it unless they were standing on something too.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck.

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have seen mine hit it but it never has seemed to hurt them. I don't see burns on them afterwards or any other sort of problems. Mostly this happened when I was hatching ducks but sometimes the chicks climb up on the eggs and hit it.
    Becky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by