newly hatched chick appears to have no skull cap/skin on back of head, Help what is this??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chrysolinsbirds, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Chrysolinsbirds

Chrysolinsbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA
    Appears strong, not in distress, did scalp fuse with shell and tear off during hatch? Will it grow back? How worried should I be about infection?

2. Chrysolinsbirds

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA
    [​IMG]

3. Chrysolinsbirds

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA
    [​IMG]

4. Chrysolinsbirds

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA
    Been looking around and found some other people had chicks hatch like this, where either chick died or they culled it. I won't be culling it. In the three days of it's life the size of the thing has gone down and isn't bleeding since 6hours after hatch. I know it's not an injury from other chickens because it was first egg to hatch in bator in this set. I was speaking with my brother about it, and in his opinion it's from not getting properly rotated. Skin appears to be growing over it now and the chick is acting completely normally and except to check it's head and apply neosporin everyday it's not getting any special treatment.

5. Chrysolinsbirds

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA
    [​IMG] three days old

6. Chrysolinsbirds

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA
    [​IMG]

7. Beulah89

Beulah89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe it's a cyst...

8. Chrysolinsbirds

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA
    I don't know, first thing I thought was too look inside shell for his scalp but Dh had actually taken trash out when I told him the dud egg would smell. Wish I'd noticed when I took the shells out when the chicks were drying.

9. Chrysolinsbirds

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA
    it now resembles the regular shape of a chicks head, but a larger hatchmate decided to peck off his scab =/ separated standards from bantams. So except for "new" injury there seems to be much improvement. Will take a better shot soon for those interested, I myself looked for similar issues without much to find and no positive outcomes. I have hope for this chicky it's doing so well =)

10. Chrysolinsbirds

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by