Newly hatched chick bad leg

Matieus27

Crowing
Oct 13, 2018
Sallisaw, OK
image.jpg
Has anyone seen anything like this in a newborn chick and if so what can I do to increase it chances of survival

That almost appears to be a reverse of spraddle leg. I would think it would just be leg twist though. Not positive on the condition but to help the chicks survival, you’ll have to correct the leg while it’s young. Use small hair ties or rubber bands to attach the legs together so they’re in the correct place. View attachment 1611964View attachment 1611965View attachment 1611966
I was thinking of this but the leg turns inward so if I attach something to it it’s just going to keep turning inwards correct? So would that work or would I be fighting a losing battle

I am thinking something semi rigid to push the leg out a little and hold it in place properly but it looked like the foot is twisted inward and when I put the leg in the correct position the foot looks all wrong

Can you construct something with a toothpick and maybe medical tape to hold the legs apart? Does seem like a losing battle unfortunately but it is always worth a try because there are those miracle babies!

This is what it looks like him laying natural to me it looks like is thigh?? Is dislocated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 18
Can you put some skid proof shelf liner in the incubator/brooder? It could be due to the position it was in the egg. After he dries up, you could prop it up in a cup with a split of sort. It could be a Riboflavin deficiency also

Back
Top Bottom