Newly hatched chick, bloody protruding vent?

cutiekk17

Chirping
May 12, 2015
New York

This is my first time hatching chicks and this one had problems getting out of the egg. It was stuck in there like glue, we carefully got it free and noticed it had what i think was its umbilical cord wrapped around both its legs, we carefully snipped it and saw no bleeding. But noticed this protrusion.

Does anyone have any advice on whats going on with it or how to help it. Should i put ointment on it? It also seems to have curled toes. Its still freshly hatched but it keeps trying to walk around like the other chicks and seems to want to live so i don't want to give up on it quite yet.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated as i'm just a newbie and i don't have much experience in this yet.

Your chick has a protruding and infected vent, which can happen with less than desirable hatch situations, as the yolk sack did not absorb into the abdomen quite right often leaving either an unclosed umbilical site or a protruding vent. It's legs also look a bit puffy indicating possible fluid build up from infection known as omphalitis, or "Squishy Chick."

I personally put such chicks on a round of Sulmet to clear up bacterial growth in the closed gut. A couple of days usually clears it, but if it isn't completely clear looking, I halve the dose for a couple of days more (follow bottle instructions reducing the amount for a quart water feeder, or less if you eye dropper).

You may also use Duramycin-10, tetracylin, Baytril, or any other antibiotic you have on hand for a week to 10 days if you do not have Sulmet. They are slower working but broader based.

In time, the vent will recede and look normal, but watch very closely for any continued redness and puffing of the stomach and legs, or overall listlessness of the chick, as that indicates infection is still present.'

LofMc

In this photo you can see a chick that has healed...you can still see the scab on the slow closing umbilical site on the bottom, then the still somewhat scabby vent on the top. This chick had a very mild omphalitis that a couple of days of Sulmet put right, then it was a matter of another few days for things to heal up and close up.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the advice.

It made it through the night and is looking a little better today. Its still in the incubator with my last egg to hatch. I'm afraid to put it in the brooder with the other chicks since i dont want it to get picked on but i need to get a better look at its legs. Will update later. Thanks again

I would advise starting antibiotics immediately and keeping this chick separate until it is completely healed.

It clearly has an unhealed open vent and/or umbilical site which is an open door for bacteria into the warm yolk rich abdomen. Omphalitis is almost a certainty in these situations and can reach crisis very quickly.

LofMc

We're trying as hard as we can for the little one. We also discovered its feet are badly curled over and has trouble walking. We've made tape boots for it but they come off or its toes end up twisting inside them. Going to try another method to tape its toes later today. Its been drinking and pecking at food so i'll take that as a sign. I hope we can get it walking normally again.

I feel so bad for this little guy that i had a hard time sleeping last night and i've got knots in my stomach.

If you haven't already put it also on electolytes and vitamins like Chick Saver in the water.

I have not had much luck with them after such a hard hatch. I booted and eye droppered only to lose to disease around 6 weeks for failure to thrive.

Hope for the best but be prepared this chick may never do well as something major could be amiss inside.

I wish you the best of luck.

I've been putting off writing this but sadly the chick didn't make it.

I'm sad, i cried but now its over and i can concentrate on my 12 healthy and happy chicks.
At least now i have some more experience and know what to do and what not to do if something like this were to happen again.

Thank you for giving me advice, it really helped a lot and it was nice to have some people there for me during this!

So sorry!
hugs.gif

I too am sorry for your loss, it sadly is a fact of life when hatching chicks.

Thankfully you can take the knowledge learned with this hatch to apply for future hatches.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom