newly hatched chick can't stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elaineavt, May 29, 2011.

1. elaineavt

elaineavt New Egg

May 29, 2011
    Help!
    I have a chick that hatched about 10 hours ago. From the get-go, the chick has been unable to stand. It lies on its side and holds one leg up near its head. It scrambles around on its back or side, but I've not seen it stable on its feet. I've just moved it to a shoebox in the brooder so that the others won't peck at it. It is fluffed out and looks okay except for the way it lies on its side and holds its legs. This is my first time hatching out chicks (since I was a kid) so I could use some advice.
    Thanks.

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    give it some time and put electrolyte/vitamin in its water. Try dribbling some along its beak. I had a bantam cochin that I hatched that took 3 days to walk. He is fine now.

3. elaineavt

elaineavt New Egg

May 29, 2011
    Thank you for the advice. How much liquid should I try to get the chick to drink? A few drops? More? And how often would you suggest I do this?

4. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    [​IMG]

If he just hatched, this is actually normal. They flop around like fish at first.

You can put a tiny pinch of electrolytes, or three table spoons of sugar

in about a quart of water, and dip his beak in the water once every

30 minutes - 1 hour. Keep us updated!

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  5. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Good luck with the little fuzzybutt... i hope she figures it out soon [​IMG]

6. elaineavt

elaineavt New Egg

May 29, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I'm feeding the chick gatorade every hour or so and its starting to drink better for me. The chick still lies on its side and seems to bicycle its legs when it's awake, spinning around. Otherwise it sleeps mostly. It is stretching out its legs more, though, so I'm hoping that's an encouraging sign. It looks like this will be a long night. Any other advice will be appreciated.

7. elaineavt

elaineavt New Egg

May 29, 2011
    Hi,
    I fed the chick gatorade about every hour last night. It drank some each time. Still doing about the same today. It just rests in between. So, I'm feeling a bit defeated. I don't know if I should try anything else, or how long I should continue feeding it liquids hourly. At what point should it even try to use its legs? I've tried putting it in an upright position a few times, but it scrambles to its side.

8. McKNuts

McKNuts New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    Did your chick end up making it? I also have a chick doing the same thing. I read on another thread that I should give it an egg yolk mixed with 2 tbsp water to drink. Have you heard of this?

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    How old is your chick? I've had a few that didn't stand for 24 hours, so maybe it just needs more time?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by