Newly hatched chick can't walk or stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abbyroser, Dec 29, 2012.

1. abbyroser

abbyroser New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    So my bantam silkie hatched and has one leg that is fine and he can move around with it, the other, not so much. He uses his good leg to move little distances but looks like his just flopping around.for a minute, he got flipped on his back and I could see that it was not broken because he started thrashing both legs around the Sam way. I don't want to open the incubator yet in fear of shrink wrapping any other chicks. Does any one have an idea of what this is and how to fix it when I get to him/her?
    [​IMG]
    He may have half a broken leg, starting at the 'ankle' because it does look slightly swollen. Any suggestions to help when I get to him? The rest of the chicks are healthy.. And this poor guys chirping up a storm every time he attempts to move.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Okay, opening the incubator is secondary to an injury. Last time I put a damp towel over my head and the incubator and grabbed quickly. Then get the chick under a heat lamp. Then take a bandaid, cut it long ways down the middle,and wrap both legs with the white in the middle between the legs. If your hatch is near ready, then leave her in the brooder with some chick feed and water.

3. abbyroser

abbyroser New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    Thank you, it's been about 5 hours since she hatched now. People told me not to touch them for a while because their bones were so fragile... It will be alright as long as I'm gentle, right?

4. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    YES. do the bandaid and make sure the wee one is on flooring that is NOT slippery, like paper towels...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by