Newly hatched chick "coated" with stiff substance

newchickenfamily

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
SF Bay Area - Danville
OK, I'm new at this hatching business. I had 6 chicks hatch today. 5 are doing fine. The last one (little banty egg) had a hard time hatching. After 24 hours on it's own, I helped it out. It's in OK shape, EXCEPT that it's coated in a stiff eggy (duh!) substance that is not allowing it to "fluff up" like the others. It's still in the 'bator and the humidity is about 80%.

What can I do (if anything) for this little peeper?
fl.gif

Forgot t o add, some people just leave it and they say it goes away in a few days. When I had that happen I got a nice warm bowl of water and a paper towel and gently got as much off as I could them put it back in the bator to dry. Wash around eyes with a q tip so its little eyes don't stick together. The one I had like this had that happen and it cried nonstop til I figured out the problem.

Ive had this happen a few times. I simply run the water in the bathroom sink until its nice and warm and hold the chick under the water for a few seconds and then wrap it in a warmed towel and hold it there for a few minutes.
The water will absorb into the towel and then put it under the lamp to fluff it up.
This really makes it beautiful and it will not have the stuck feather kiinda look as most of them do the first week.
When the weather is right I do this to all of them. It sure perks them up and they shine like gold.

I have recieved a sticky chick, wipe it off with warm water, under the heat lamp watching that it doesn't catch a chill and like said, it should fluff up, just try not to leave it to long as the fluff is what keeps its skin warm.
Good luck!
frow.gif

Thanks guys...I have left it in the bator to stay warm since it has no fluff. I've realized this morning that it has bigger problems than the sticky stuff. It's got funky legs and can't get up on it's legs like a regular chick. That's probably why it couldn't hatch out itself!
barnie.gif
I knew I was taking a chance helping the chick out... I'll follow your suggestions and see where that takes us... Thanks!

I had a chick I had to help out because of my own stupidity. He was covered in dried gunk. I left him alone and now, nearly two weeks later, he's still gunky looking in the parts that haven't started to feather out yet, but otherwise doing just fine.

Back
Top Bottom