Newly hatched chick, does she have a chance? ~Graphic Pic~

RubberChickenLubber

Songster
12 Years
Oct 19, 2007
Newton, NC
Yes, it's a she, it's a cukoo. She just hatched today, she was a day late, and the broody has given up on her, and just left the nest in the last hour or so, so she was cold. Right now I have her wrapped in an old washcloth between my stomach and my shirt, until I can get a brooder set up. She hasn't absorbed all her yolk, she doesn still have some energy.

4493_img_1520.jpg

I haven't set up a brooder yet, been hoping I would get a reply as to whether it is worth it. She's perking up some now that she's warmed up. Is it possible for the yolk to absorb?

Quote:
Yes. Just keep her separated until the yolk is fully absorbed--otherwise the other chicks will peck her to death.

Ok, so I have have her in a box with a light. It's only up to 87 degrees, but it'll take a little bit to get it up. She's making more noise and actually trying to move around, which is an improvement from when she was in the nest box. Only time will tell.

I've saved a cold chickie before. She was pushed back in the back of my nest box, and pecked a bit. So I suspect that your chickie will do alright!
fl.gif
hoping!

Back
Top Bottom