1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newly Hatched Chick Dragging It's Shell

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by choven05, Feb 25, 2015.

1. choven05

choven05 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    So we are hatching eggs for the first time and we had our first 1 hatch this morning. It seems fine other then the egg is still attached to it and it's dragging it around the incubator with it. Is this normal? Do I need to do something? Help!

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    If it is dragging it by the - um - I'm sure there's a proper name for it, but I guess "umbilical cord" will do - I would take a pair of scissors, and very carefully snip the cord off a little distance from the chick. The cord will probably be dried and shriveled by now; my concern is that the shell could get caught on something, and the cord could get pulled off inside, causing bleeding. Normally this happens without injury to the chick as it hatches, but having one hang on after hatching always worries me (perhaps needlessly, but there you are).[​IMG]

Congrats on your hatch - good luck with the rest of it!

3. choven05

choven05 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Thank you. I did end up cutting the cord and it seems fine now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by