1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

newly hatched chick feet are not right

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rt farms, Oct 18, 2015.

1. rt farms

rt farms Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2015
    Arkansas
    New baby had trouble hatching and I may have waited too long it is very large and the toes curl in and it struggles. She's kinda pigeon toed if ya will. Is it just best to settle gown and see how she does

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If the toes are curled I would get a "boot" or "sandle" on the foot and see if you can get them straightened out. When did the chick hatch?
    Here's a link to the chicken chick's page on spradle leg and curled toes: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html

3. rt farms

May 17, 2015
    Arkansas
    At 1130 today, she was never going to make it with out help. She is looking better now with time.

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's great. Often with assisted hatch chicks they may take a little longer to "spunk" up. I believe that's in part because they work so hard getting out of a less than ideal environment and are literally exhusted. I always have sav a chick electrolyte in my water in the brooder for the first couple days for those that need the extra vites.

5. suliah

suliah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Muskegon, MI
    I used tape to fix the toes of my first ever incubator hatch chick. I simply put a piece of scotch tape on the bottom, put chick foot on, then a piece over the foot, pressing down between toes to seal. The were like little chicken booties just to keep the toes properly laid out.

24 hours later and I took them off, now you can't even tell anything was wrong. Drumstick is now 3 months old.

1 person likes this.
  6. rt farms

May 17, 2015
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    Little goofy footed girl looks great at 1 1/2 weeks old

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Awe. That's great.