Newly hatched chick has bloody bottom

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jude_anne, Jun 15, 2011.

1. jude_anne

jude_anne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    It's bottom is dried but very red & looks sore. The chick seems to be acting fine. Should I just leave it alone or apply something on it?Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Just leave it alone as long as it doesn't look infected. Watch the other chicks, if they start pecking he may need seperated for a few days til it heals up. Good luck!

3. jude_anne

Jun 20, 2010
    Thank you so much for responding! After looking at it closer, it seems to be like a piece of tissue, but it is drying up. The chick seems to be doing fine, but we'll definitely watch the other ones to make sure they don't peck it. Thanks again!

4. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Please leave it alone! It is most likely the navel. Where the yolk was attached to the chick. Over the next week you should notice it becoming smaller and less noticeable [​IMG]

5. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    his butt could have been stuck to the shell and does it look like a small red ball? if yes then thats his navel like chickychickybaby said

6. jude_anne

Jun 20, 2010
    My daughter thought the same thing. This is kind of rectangular and about 3/8" long and 1/8" wide. Could it be a piece of shell that fused to the tissue? I don't want to mess with it because the chick seems to be doing fine. None of the other peeps are bothering it, but we'll definitely keep an eye on it. Thanks so much for the help :)

7. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    uh huh.. i hope its not what i think it is,Is this tissue look really red almost fleshy like?

8. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Personally, when I have one hatch like that with a rough or raw navel, I dust it with styptic powder and then I dust it a couple of times a day for 3-4 days with tetracycline powder (duramycin). It always dries up nicely with this treatment, never lost one to any kind of infection or bleed out after this.

9. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:wait isnt duramycin a soluble powder for the chicks water only?

10. jude_anne

Jun 20, 2010
    I checked the chick again and it's all dried up now. It's a dark red little blob. Her bottom is all matty. When she poos it's been sticking so we've been cleaning her up with a paper towel with warm water. She's the last one so far to hatch so she's still a little wabbly. Where do you get the styptic and tetracycline powders? Would they also help with the matty bottom?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by