1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newly hatched chick has...hemmorhoid??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 7AcreOrganics, Apr 11, 2008.

  1. 7AcreOrganics

    7AcreOrganics Out Of The Brooder

    49
    0
    32
    Apr 11, 2008
    Ashland Oregon
    Our latest silkies are hatching, and out of the butt of one is a strange bubble like thing, its not poop, its skin color, and tinged with blood. its round and like a small grape. i can send a pic if you email me. any clues on what it is?
    thank you
     
  2. Lothiriel

    Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

    10,323
    129
    368
    Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    I've read (I think) that it may be the egg sack (???). Not exactly sure. Hope someone else who really knows can help you! Good luck! [​IMG]
     
  3. Katy

    Katy Flock Mistress

    It's probably a rough navel. It hasn't quite absorbed the yolk yet. It will probably go ahead and absorb, but watch so the other chicks don't start pecking on it.
     
  4. chickbea

    chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Is it actually coming from its vent, or is it from the navel?
     
  5. 7AcreOrganics

    7AcreOrganics Out Of The Brooder

    49
    0
    32
    Apr 11, 2008
    Ashland Oregon
    Hi, thanks for the replies. Its in the butt! [​IMG]
     
  6. 7AcreOrganics

    7AcreOrganics Out Of The Brooder

    49
    0
    32
    Apr 11, 2008
    Ashland Oregon
    Ok, it came out, it was full of liquid. There is still some blood though. But is a strange looking chick! Its like his torso is hlaf of what it should be and his lower half looks like it has a huge gumball sized tumor. Very stranged shape.
     
  7. Tuffoldhen

    Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

    7,505
    19
    301
    Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It should be it's yolk sac and the chick absorbs it given time in the incubator...

    There is only one opening on a chick/chicken and thats the vent...during incubation your chick is living off the yolk sac developing...when its time to hatch he/she has to absorb all the sac back up into its body...thats why they don't have to have feed/water right away they are living off the yolk sac....It's also why when they pip the egg it can take 24 hours for them to zip out they are waiting on the sac to absorb...
     
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  8. kevin2010

    kevin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

    390
    0
    139
    Mar 22, 2008
    tucker wv
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  9. 7AcreOrganics

    7AcreOrganics Out Of The Brooder

    49
    0
    32
    Apr 11, 2008
    Ashland Oregon
    Well, the little guy was about 90% dead this morning. It for sure was not a yolk sac. He has some type of tumor or deformity. Unfortunatley we had to help him the other 10% of the way. He was a sweet thing too.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by