Newly hatched chick has...hemmorhoid??

7AcreOrganics

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
Ashland Oregon
Our latest silkies are hatching, and out of the butt of one is a strange bubble like thing, its not poop, its skin color, and tinged with blood. its round and like a small grape. i can send a pic if you email me. any clues on what it is?
thank you

welcome-byc.gif

I've read (I think) that it may be the egg sack (???). Not exactly sure. Hope someone else who really knows can help you! Good luck!
fl.gif

Ok, it came out, it was full of liquid. There is still some blood though. But is a strange looking chick! Its like his torso is hlaf of what it should be and his lower half looks like it has a huge gumball sized tumor. Very stranged shape.

It should be it's yolk sac and the chick absorbs it given time in the incubator...

There is only one opening on a chick/chicken and thats the vent...during incubation your chick is living off the yolk sac developing...when its time to hatch he/she has to absorb all the sac back up into its body...thats why they don't have to have feed/water right away they are living off the yolk sac....It's also why when they pip the egg it can take 24 hours for them to zip out they are waiting on the sac to absorb...

Last edited:
Well, the little guy was about 90% dead this morning. It for sure was not a yolk sac. He has some type of tumor or deformity. Unfortunatley we had to help him the other 10% of the way. He was a sweet thing too.

Back
Top Bottom