Newly hatched chick has weak swollen leg

owenslx4

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
I have newly hatched chicks few days old. One was born with swollen leg she can't walk on. Another has same problem only it's both legs. The rest were healthy. Anyone know what might be wrong? I don't want to ignore problem if there's something I need to do for them. Thanks, ann

I have newly hatched chicks few days old. One was born with swollen leg she can't walk on. Another has same problem only it's both legs. The rest were healthy. Anyone know what might be wrong? I don't want to ignore problem if there's something I need to do for them. Thanks, ann

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
I'm sorry to hear of your chick's leg problems!
Why don't you take this over to the emergency and illness thread? You are right to be
concerned because the legs and feet grow fast after hatching and you should attend
this problem within the 1st 2 days old.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
Something like this can cause stress in baby chicks,. it won't hurt at all to give them
some Poultry Nutri-Drench to keep their energy up. It doesn't need digesting and mainlines
directly into the bloodstream. 50% uptake in 10 minutes; 99% uptake in 30 minutes.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks
I keep the Poultry Nutri-Dench in their water at the 2cc per gallon dosage as directed
in the above URL for the 1st 2 weeks of life to get them off to a strong start. The science techs at Bovidr labs who make these Drench and Drop products told me that Poultry Nutri-Dench and Pet Nutri-Drops can both be used a the same usage and dosage instructions as given for Poultry Nutri-Dench in the above URL. So if your Tractor Supply or feed store is out of one, you can use the other. At Tractor Supply I think the Poultry Nutri-Drench is 6.99 and the Pet Nutri-Drops is 9.99 .
Best Success,
Karen

Last edited:
Thanks so much I will re post in proper thread. Yeah I'm worried so I gotta figure out what's wrong

Back
Top Bottom