Newly Hatched Chick HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Karrie13, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Does this chick have a chance?

It was hatched yesterday and did use its legs to push itself out of its shell. His hocks are swollen and have purplish marks on the outside of the hock. He moves by scooting around and will sometimes put his feet over his back. I thought a slipped tendon but I am not completely sure. Birth defect?

Here is a view of him on his stomach

[​IMG]

Here is a view of his legs

[​IMG]

Here is a view of his worst leg.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    How long has he been hatched? Usually if I have one like that I wait several hours. It will usually take off or get weak and need to be gotten rid of.

3. Karrie13

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    It hatched yesterday evening around 6:30.

4. Karrie13

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want this poor little chick to suffer but want to give it a chance if there is one.

5. Karrie13

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Nothing seems to be helping. I have tapped the feet, given vitamins, put vet wrap around the hock (tendon didn’t look out of place though) and put a band aid support between the legs. I have done this for 2 days now but it doesn’t look like it is working. He also wont eat or drink. When I don’t have him supported in a bowl he just flops around in circles even when I take off the hobble/braces/tape. So I guess I am going to have to get the courage up to cull. My husband is gone for the weekend.

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    It should be walking fine by now. I would say cull, but I know I can't cull so it's hard to tell you that. I am such a wimp when it comes to culling. Do you have anyone that could do it for you?

7. Karrie13

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    My DH normally takes care of that for me but I don’t want this little one to suffer any longer. My DS would probably help me out but don’t want him to have to do that for me. It is just cheeping away but just not eating, drinking, or walking.

8. loralei

loralei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    New Caney, Texas
    I would have a hard time dealing with this myself, Karrie13 and I am so sorry you are going thru this! To me it seems if the poor little guy isn't eating or drinking he doesn't have the will to live and I hate to say it but it would probably be kindest to cull.

Laura

9. Karrie13

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thank you for the advice. It’s done. I did it. I had to try two times before I succeeded. I just feel horrible about it. [​IMG]

10. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Poor you and well done for doing the best thing![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by