Newly hatched chick - HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hannahs_mama04, Aug 31, 2010.

1. hannahs_mama04

hannahs_mama04 New Egg

Apr 5, 2009
    So one of my hens decided to brood...now I have one living, thriving chick, 4 that didn't make it, and one that just hatched this morning that mama doesn't want to keep warm. What do I need to do to make sure this baby lives? It is cold and raining outside, so I have brought baby indoors and have her wrapped in a washcloth and under a blanket on my chest for now. What is the best way to keep her alive? And when should I worry about it needing to eat/drink/etc? Any help or thoughts?? Thanks!

Tinitia

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:So you are saying that you had one hatch earlier and now have a new one hatched? If that is what is happening I had the same thing happen this summer. The eggs got mixed up and there were diffferent hatch dates and the Momma wouldn't accept the newest members or chicks.

Do you have another broody hen that you could sneak it under. If not you need to provide a heat source for it to stay warm. That being said it will not survive outside in the rain. You can buy a heat lamp bulb and use that to help keep it warm. Put a teddy bear or some sort of stuffed animal to keep it company. I have a rescued RIR pullet I got from my livestock supply store on Friday. My broody hens have some eggs but they will be end of this week and I decided since it was so tiny and had part of the yoke sac hanging out I would keep it inside and warm and fed until it is bigger and the other babies hatch out.

Chicks don't usually need food for a couple of days, but I always put food out and water and dip the beaks in so they will know where food and water is.

Maybe try to put the baby under the Momma at night tonight to see how she reacts. She may accept it after dark when she is sleeping.

I wish you lots of luck and hope everything goes ok with the little one.

3. 9 Feathers Farm

9 Feathers Farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    St Johns, MI
    Keep the chick at about 95 degrees for the first week, use a red heat lamp (if one is not avail right away, use a heating pad until you can one). The chick will absorb the yolk for about the first three days after hatch, however, I like to have food and water in their sight asap. To help them find the food and water dip the beak in it for a second.

4. hannahs_mama04

hannahs_mama04 New Egg

Apr 5, 2009
    Thank you for the suggestions! I still have the stuff from when we brought our chicks home from the store last year, so I will just set that up for her for a few days. The other chick is only a week old, and I have another hen that has only been brooding for about a week, so it will be awhile yet before her eggs start hatching. We do not have a coop, our chickens have decided to lay their eggs under the porch, almost impossible to reach them! The chick that I have rescued, so to speak, has been wiggling around a little more now that she is getting warmer! I just stuck her on my chest after wrapping her gently in a washcloth, and I have a light fleece blanket over her as well to help keep her warm. It reminds me of when my daughter was a baby, but this baby is a lot stinkier! Do I need to clean its bottom off? Sorry, I've never hatched chicks before; we bought them day-old last year. I am trying to remember how this is all supposed to go! Thanks again for the help!

9 Feathers, when you say you let them absorb the yolk, is that what is making her hind end look swollen? I am very new to this!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  5. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    If you put it in a box and keep it inside, just don't put it on bedding. Put rags or something under it to start.

We raised a chick indoors last summer. Really try to get the mom to take him back. I know it just might not work. That really is the best thing to do if you don't have another broody hen. Otherwise, raising a chick indoors by itself is very difficult - for you and the chick.

Best of luck.

6. hannahs_mama04

hannahs_mama04 New Egg

Apr 5, 2009
    OK, she just started peeping! I think she's gonna be okay! Thanks again for all the suggestions (and reminders!). Now my next question is, her feathers are really stiff. Will they start to fluff on their own, or is there anything I should do?

7. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    If the "feathers" are stiff and she stinks, that sounds like she's still "dirty" and hasn't dried off properly. Anyone else have any suggestions.

8. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    Make a little cup with your hands with her inside. Gently exhale on her. You want to do it so that she is getting the warmth of your breath but not the force of the air.

Then gently rub her with your fingertips. That should loosen up that fluff.

9. 9 Feathers Farm

9 Feathers Farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    St Johns, MI
    Quote:The yolk may cause their bottom to look a little swollen, as long as there is not any tissue protuding from the vent or belly area she should be fine. As for the stiff dry feathers, feel free to take a damp cloth to her to freashen her up. Put her under the light after wards so that she can dry and stay warm. It sounds like she is in good hands!

10. hannahs_mama04

hannahs_mama04 New Egg

Apr 5, 2009
    So, the chick did not make it. She was not strong enough to even be able to stand up or lift her head, so it is probably for the best. [​IMG] Thanks again everyone for your tips and suggestions. Hopefully we will be more successful in the future!

Tinitia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by