Newly hatched chick in corner of incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Just Rosie, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Just Rosie

Just Rosie In the Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Hello everyone,
    My ameraucanas decided to start coming a day early! I’m very excited, as this is my first hatch. My first and only chick completely hatched has been burrowing herself in the corners of the incubator. She moved from one corner to the other. I also believe I saw her “panting” earlier. She’s completely fluffed out that I can see, I’m worried, is she too hot in the incubator? Or am I over reacting? I wanted to wait until have I have two fully hatched to take them out, but I also read somewhere that you should wait 18-24 hours. Thoughts?
    Thanks for the help in advanced!

Attached Files:

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

She is way too hot in the incubator. I would personally move dry chicks to the brooder.
    Move her to the brooder and give her a little doll or mirror until you can move another chick over.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    rainee63 likes this.
  3. rainee63

rainee63 Songster

Mar 12, 2017
    North Alabama
    I had to ask this question last year! I only have a mini incubator but the instructions said to leave the chicks inside for 24 hours too. That's didn't work! I'm pretty sure I lost at least one chick that never hatched cuz it's hatch mate smothered it's little pip hope. Now I give them time to fluff out and move them to the brooder. Good luck with your babies!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I haven't found that to be the case...
    ....many leave chicks in the bator until all are hatched.

007Sean likes this.
  5. Cyprus

Sorry, that's just what I've been told over and over again. What would I know? :idunno

6. rainee63

rainee63 Songster

Mar 12, 2017
    North Alabama
    I've always moved mine cuz of space issues. Maybe the little chick just feels more secure in the corner?

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I have never read that in 6 years of reading here.

WVduckchick and 007Sean like this.
  8. Cyprus

Like I said, sorry. I edited the post, hope that's better. :hmm

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Chicks may seem extra warm in the incubator because of the increased humidity, but they won't overheat.
    I take mine out at breaks in the action. That may be one hour or eight or more. Personal choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: