Newly hatched chick isn’t moving

ness12

Hatching
Jun 3, 2020
We have chickens who have had eggs, but some of the eggs haven’t hatched yet so we’ve been monitoring them. Today we found a chick that wasn’t here this morning. It was on the ground outside the shelter we made for one of the chickens with eggs. My little sister saw it first but didn’t tell us for about 2 hours, so it was laying out there for a long time. It got bit by a bunch of fire ants and we think it might be underdeveloped. We gave it some water with a dropper, and it seems to be breathing. It’s only moving it’s beak (to breath I think) and sometimes it’s body, opened it’s eyes at one point but it hasn’t gotten up or made much sound. I have never raised a chick before much less one that is struggling. Is there anything I can do?
It’s in a box right now, we put some soft cloth and a warmer under it, and a light over it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 5

ChikChik937

Hatching
Jun 3, 2020
I just hatched my first chick a few weeks ago, so I’m no expert by any means, but I will tell you what I personally would do.
From what I’ve read, keeping it warm and hydrated are the two most important things for a newly hatched chick, so good job keeping up with that.
I might try to give it a little bit of electrolyte solution. I don’t know if it would hurt anything at this point to give it a boost.

A DIY recipe that I’ve used before:
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon molasses
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Water should be warm, but not hot, and not too cold because cold water will chill the chick.
Simply mix the ingredients until they have dissolved.
Using the dropper seems like the best way to give it to the chick.
I used it briefly (about a day) in my chick’s waterer.

For the first day or so after hatching a chick won’t be doing much besides sleeping, every once in a while it’ll get up and stumble around to get to a warmer spot.
Maybe it’s just extra tired after its rough day.

I’m so sorry your chickie is having a hard time, best wishes 💗

Last edited:

Top Bottom