1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newly hatched chick leg problems!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lozerface79, Mar 25, 2016.

1. lozerface79

lozerface79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Alaska
    Guys i really need help, i have a chick, my favorite, that has problems with its leg. It looks like the leg is pointed inwards and it has a hard time walking. Though it can walk enough to get food/water.
    He is roughly about a day or two old if that helps any!

2. Mirajane

Mirajane Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2015
    California
    Hi lozer, could you post a couple pictures? It would really help to be able to visualize it. And is the leg straight under the chick? Or is it sideways too? Thank you.

3. lozerface79

Feb 3, 2016
    Alaska
    [​IMG]
    Here is one, i can try to get a better pic if need be.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd consider adding vitamin supplements / electrolytes in their water as this may help if it is caused by a vitamin deficiency - if not, it will do no harm at all. I'm sure the experts will chime in later.

All the best
    CT

5. Mirajane

Dec 28, 2015
    California
    Could you possibly set it on the ground and take a picture of it from the front? It might have a little spraddle leg, and definently a curled foot. Here's a link from the chicken chick that talks all about it. I just made a ton of braces because all of my Mille Fleur D'Uccles had curled toes.
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html?m=1

6. lozerface79

Feb 3, 2016
    Alaska

Heres a better pic(theres black tape from an earlier reposition attempt)
    [​IMG]

7. Mirajane

Dec 28, 2015
    California
    Is his actual foot bent over? It sure looks like it. The younger he is the easier it'll be to fix it. We might have to invent a brace for the poor guy... I used small pipe cleaners and created a foot for one of my chicks. You could probably make one with a leg brace and pull the foot into the correct position. You have to check it often, and separate him. Otherwise the other chicks can hurt him. Here are some pics of the brace I made.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I felt bad about separating him so I took a plastic cover that you would put in a binder with paper in it, and made it into a window for him :)
    [​IMG]

8. lozerface79

Feb 3, 2016
    Alaska
    Alright, thanks. But how do i keep him still enough to put on the brace? Thanks for the help!

9. Mirajane

Dec 28, 2015
    California
    I have someone else hold it with their stomach on their fingers and their feet through their pinkie and ring finger. Then they can't jerk their legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by