Newly hatched chick missing eyes

amc237

Hatching
Apr 25, 2023
Hi...new here but have been lurking for a bit. Back story - first time incubating and hatching eggs. We got 10 out of 10 eggs hatched finally after a long hatch. The last chick to hatch has been weaker than the rest. She hatched while I was at work and then went under the brooder w the other hatched chicks. It was only today that I was able to get a closer look at everyone since they're getting more active. Anyway - it would seem this chick either doesn't have eyes at all, there are sockets where they should be -- or her eyes are closed permanently? There isn't any weird discharge coming from them like her eyes are infected. Either way, she cannot see at all I think. She just kind of hangs out under the brooder. The other chicks are not mean to her, they just snuggle her under the brooder like usual. I had some electrolyte solution for the chicks that I dipped her beak into...she caught on quickly and started dipping her own beak in the solution. Has anyone had this happen to them? What can I do to help her out? Thanks for reading thus far.

Update -- she has eyes, just chose to keep them closed. I gave her some electrolyte solution and she perked up a bit. But hasn't started wandering from the brooder for food. I think I may try some raw egg yolk next.

How long would you continue w the egg yolk? And how many times per day? She's already up and drinking herself this morning.

Back
Top Bottom