Newly hatched chick. NO EYES! **UPDATE 1-31-12** SHE LAYED!!!!!!!!

I think this is a beautiful story, complete with the beautiful chick and her beautiful rescuer. I hope this stands as a lesson to those who cull anything and everything that doesn't fit their idealization of what a "perfect chick" should be. Dustie lays lovely eggs, eats and drinks, and has a docile temperament - no reason at all to cull all that perfection, and I'm glad you didn't!

Sorry for your loss. We originally had Nando, another BYC special needs favorite. He passed away from a foot infection this summer as well. Those special need chickens hold a special place in our hearts!

You gave her an amazing little life that she otherwise would have missed out on. Rest in peace, little fluffy one xxx

I am sorry this Happened to you . I feel for the baby chick What you do is up to you. many things good and bad can come of this . Good luck an remember what ever you choose is the right choice.

I'm sure that there's no way you could look at that for a couple of days and not be absolutely enamored of her. Even at this distance, I can see how ... oh, man, I've really got the chicken bug, haven't I?

I totally get it. She's ... special. I did wind up on a whirlwind "what is a frazzle" search after I saw her, and I get it. This, from the girl who couldn't understand silkies _at_all_ and yet now has 23 silkie eggs in the incubator. The girl who wanted enough eggs to eat ... and who is now researching to get involved in the Lavender Orp project, which requires multiple breeding pens of at least two colors of orps, by which there is a side effect of ... oh, three more colors. ::le sigh::

Yeah, I love your girl, too. Covergirl or no.
my friends make fun of me for having so many different homes for each of their stages and needs
im glad im not the only one in the chicken tornado!!

Last edited:
Today I went to get a new chick from the feed store while I was there I noticed two of the meat bird chicks were not doing so well. One seemed like it couldn't stand, its little leg was all twisted. And the other also has NO eyes. Same as Duster. I ended up bring them home as well as I knew they had no chance at the store. I have them in a box together to keep each other company. We are feeding them 1 mL mash of chick start egg yolk electrolytes and vitamins every hour, that's about all either of them will take. They are 72 hours old and just arrived off the truck today. They had only been at the store an hour or so before I got there. I am hoping the brace will get the one on its feet in the next couple of days. And hoping to raise the blind bird, we will see??

Back
Top Bottom