Newly hatched chick scoots on butt???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yellowflower, Apr 1, 2011.

1. yellowflower

yellowflower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    Hi, I hatched some silkies, my eggs, and one chick is not able to walk like the others. I've had chicks with the slipped tendon so I know that isn't what it is.

It could be a little spraddle leg?, but still not sure. I've been doing chick physical therapy since yesterday morning and it can get up and walk short distances. But when it sits most of the time it's sitting with the legs out streched out front instead of tucked under. Is there something I can make to help it strengthen the upper part of its leg, body so it can walk properly?

It's my only lavender [​IMG]

I'm going to take a pic so you can see how it sits. Be back and thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never dealt with this, but have read of people propping the chick in something like a paper cup to hold it in a standing position. Maybe you could find something with search.

3. yellowflower

yellowflower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    Thanks, I put a sticky kind of wrap around for spraddle and he's running around now. So that's what he needed. It just looked different to me. The batteries died in my camera but I'll put them up when it charges.
    Just for others to reference if they have the same issue. Spraddle isn't always just straight out to the sides I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by