Newly Hatched Chick sits on Rump

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BenAnnaMama, Aug 25, 2016.

1. BenAnnaMama

BenAnnaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hi,

I have a chick that seems to put weight on her legs but definitely isn't walking normal. She seems to put her weight back on her rump. Her toes seem normal and her legs don't seem to be abnormal. She can get around a bit. She's definitely wobbly and unbalanced.

Any ideas?

2. BenAnnaMama

Mar 25, 2011
    Also, i'm not sure if I should separate her or keep her with the other 5 chicks and mama

3. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't give you a diagnosis, but in case it is a disease I would definitely separate it, at least until you're sure. You don't ant the others to catch it.

4. BenAnnaMama

Mar 25, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking its a type of splay the more I look. Her legs go out in front of her which causes her to fall back on rump. She can get on them occasionally. BTW...Chicks can be born with contagious diseases?!

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I would place her in a brooder so you can give her some extra vitamins she may need for a good healthy start. Then place her back with mom after about a week of the extra vitamins, she should be better by then. I believe others have said poly-vi-sol or save-a-chick will work. And yes chicks can be born with contagious diseases, but usually only if one of the parents are a carry of that disease. I'm sure someone with more knowledge can help. This is what I have picked up from this site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by