Newly hatched chick unable to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by apollora, Nov 12, 2013.

1. apollora

apollora Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Walla Walla, WA
    I have a blue Ameraucana chick that just hatched out today while I was at work. It has a sore on it's back and can't seem to retract its leg, it also appears that it's belly button is not healed. This is only my second batch of eggs so I would appreciate some input. Will I be able to help this chick at all or do I need to euthanize it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 94countrygrl

94countrygrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2013
    to me it sounds like a deformity in your chicken... I would give it a little time, help her by putting food by her and keep water near by.. sometimes chicks have leg problems that resovle themselves... however if the problem worsens or continues without any improvement, I would recommend the other option you mentioned above. :( but i would give it some time!! you can also try to help it walk around by holding it and helping it to stand.. sorta like physical therepy, help strech and retract its leg... stuff like that... :)

3. apollora

Apr 18, 2013
    Walla Walla, WA
    I will definitely give it a try, thank you for the quick response. Do I need to worry about the sore or it's navel?

4. 94countrygrl

94countrygrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2013
    I would wash it with warm water, and just keep it clean. However just give it time so that healing can take place!

5. apollora

Apr 18, 2013
    Walla Walla, WA
    I will keep it clean. Just in case she doesn't pull through, what is the most humane way to euthanize a chick ?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  6. apollora

Apr 18, 2013
    Walla Walla, WA
    Well she finally got her leg to bend underneath her, hopefully this is a good sign.

[​IMG]

7. apollora

Apr 18, 2013
    Walla Walla, WA
    I have another quick questions on this. Could this be Spraddle Leg? If its not is it more likely that its genetic or just a defect ? Thank for the input I really appreciate it.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. apollora

Apr 18, 2013
    Walla Walla, WA
    Thank you for the links, I will get some Nutri-Drench and see if that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by