Newly hatched chick under broody weak and ill?

Rhandi74

Songster
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
East TN
My LF cochins newly hatched chick was not coming out from under her so I gently lifted her and could tell there was a problem. It is very tiny and weak and had shavings from the nest plastered to it's rear end. I gently tried to get them off and liquid poured from it's rear end. I could not get the shavings off and did not want to injure the chick so I showed my hen and she tried to get it off and could not. Worried it was getting chilled I helped my hen tuck it nicely under her. Is there anything I should do for this poor chick? This is her second chick that hatched and it is much tinier then the other one and very wobbly on it's feet compared to the other chick.

Well I went out with warm water and a towel to clean off it's rear end and I got all the nasty stuff off and put the chick next to my hen and it had the energy to get under her. I am hoping it just needed to be cleaned up so it could go potty because it is already acting stronger.
fl.gif
I know that there is sometimes nothing we can do but it would be nice if that was the only problem.

Back
Top Bottom