Newly hatched chick will not stay off its back

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jumeaugal, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Jumeaugal

Jumeaugal Just Hatched

Mar 30, 2017
    I have a baby chick who hatched but cannot stand upright. I will flip it over and it will pull its neck and fall right back on its back. I read that some chicks will do this and to wrap them and place them in a bowl over night. I did this and the poor guy still cannot stand right and flipping to his back. Is there anything else I can do for it?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Poultry Nutri Drench. You might do a bit of a thread search re: vitamin E encephalopathy, or "crazy chick disease" and see if any of the pics and descriptions match your chick. If the chick has a large, soft squishy belly, you might consider omphalitis. Any of these issues don't bode well for long term outcome.

3. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    That doesn't sound too good. Sound like it's deformed. I'm afraid if I was you I'd bump it off. I would probably be kinder to do that. Has it fluffed up and is it cheeping? Also, does it have membrane stuck to it's back? If it does it could be stopping the chick from standing up.

-Jet

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I think that 'treatment" with the bowl and wrap is merely an old wives' tale.

Chicks are born with vitamin deficiencies that can cause neurological problems. The most common is Vitamin B-2 riboflavin deficiency. Try dissolving either B-complex or B-2 with E in liquid and dosing the chick twice a day.

Also, get the Poultry Nutri-drench. It has a formula that will kick start this chick and you may see immediate results.

5. Jumeaugal

Jumeaugal Just Hatched

Mar 30, 2017
    [​IMG]

I am holding his feet but he would flip back if I didn't. Little guy is fluffed up, chipping, nothing wrong with it's belly. He did have a very weird hatch. He made a hole in his eggs and just stayed there all day with his beak hanging out the hole.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Star gazer. The only thing that will help him is getting some vitamins into him pronto. and even then, the outcome depends on whether the neuro damage is permanent. He may end up being a failure to thrive chick, based on the fact that this problem probably existed before hatch day.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jumeaugal

Jumeaugal Just Hatched

Mar 30, 2017
    Sending somebody to tractor supply now.

8. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi I agree with LazyGardner in Post 6 . Hopefully some Drench can go ahead and fix this but only time will tell .
    Best,
    Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by