Newly hatched chick with cyst/tumor on shoulder?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kautumn17, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Hello,

I am hoping that someone out of all you wonderful people out there might be able to help me.

I'm about 3/4 through my first hatch ever. I received quite a few rare hatching eggs from a gal in my area, and for the most part, I've had no problems. My chicks have come out looking healthy and happy... except for one. One of my bielefelders came out with what almost looks like a cyst or a tumor. I haven't opened the incubator to take a closer look (she just hatched maybe an hour ago), but I am wondering if I should let this resolve on it's own and see if it goes away and she gets better, or if I should cull her. I don't know what it is and what I should do. I don't want her to suffer but I don't want to cull her if there is a good chance she'll recover with proper treatment.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice anyone can give me.

(I took this shortly after she hatched- hopefully it's a decent enough photograph to see that her right shoulder above her wing has a lump on it... she doesn't seem distressed, really, just a little off balance)
    [​IMG]

2. Rea17

Rea17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    What ever happened with your chick? I had a little olive egger hatch out with the exact same condition, same shoulder.[​IMG]

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Is it filled with fluid or air?

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

5. Hi Rea17,

I think it was an air pocket under the skin. I let her dry out for a day and it went down completely. I'm not sure what caused it, I didn't look into it much after it disappeared, sorry! I hope it's the same situation with your little baby. Mine is now almost three months and she's a happy little girl with no sign of the abnormality that I can see.

Good luck!

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  7. Rea17

Rea17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Thanks for all of the replies!

kautumn17 - I'm glad to hear your chick recovered. When I went to check on mine this morning it appeared to be completely back to normal! I will definitely keep an eye on it in case it is a recurring thing.

casportpony - that was a very informative and helpful thread, thanks for the link. I do believe it was filled with air, if I see it fill again I will probably just leave it alone since it has already deflated once on its own.

8. sallysparrow

sallysparrow New Egg

Jul 2, 2015
    Wilmington, NC
    I have a chick born with the same thing. She's older now and has feathers. She seems strong, eats, drinks, and poops well. The mass is in the exact same spot. How is your baby doing? I'm worried about "Tippy" since this is our fist experience with chicks. What can I expect in the future?

9. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Old thread, but how did things go?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by