Newly hatched chick with hurt leg?

Markes87

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2022
I found one of the eggs under my broody hen has hatched. But I found the baby about a meter away from the nest, on the floor
I tried to put it back with the hen, but she would try to attack the baby
As I was checking the baby I realized he has a wound and one feet is darker and swollen. Could the mother have pecked him after hatching to the point of breaking the foot/leg?
Is there anything I should use on the wound? Or leave it as it is?
Will the hen treat the other babies the same as they hatch? She is about 8 months old and is her first time hatching
20221221_051534.jpg
20221221_051458.jpg
20221221_051551.jpg
b0488896-4c5f-4398-b7e4-f59b49e7c81f.jpg

A bit of an update. Baby seems to be doing fine, drank sweetened water and slept a lot in impromptu brooder. While he is not walking much he seems to be able to stand properly and managed to move around
The other eggs haven't hatched yet, still keeping an eye in case the mother is a baby killer
Screenshot_20221221-205319_WhatsApp.jpg

Welcome to BYC! So sorry to hear about your chick, does his leg slightly splay outwards when he walks? Like a hobble?

I hope he feels better soon :hugs

Last edited:
Can it open it's foot? It looked like one foot needed a boot to fix. If it's perfect now then OK but if not fix it fast or you won't be able to. Hens will cull defective chicks. If you can fix the problem and slip it back under when others have hatched she'll take it.

Splayed leg and curled toes can be fixed easily if done in first day of hatching. Look up making boots. Cut card stock to size and band-aid tape the foot spread out to it. Force the bird to keep it's foot spread out and put it's own weight on it. Making them stand in a narrow cup helps. Once they stretch the tendons out and feet are proper all is well. The sooner this is done the better. The birds usually walk out of the boot in first few hours.

It is like a hobble

I think it is curled toes. I just tried the chicken boot, little fella is chirping and walking all around now! Thank you so much for the advice

It is like a hobble

I think it is curled toes. I just tried the chicken boot, little fella is chirping and walking all around now! Thank you so much for the advice
If the leg is splayed outwards then you can take a paper straw and a small hair elastic (like the ones the size of a nickel, very small and cheap.)
make a figure 8 with the hair elastic and place it in the straw and gently over the feet, it cured my baby within 2 days

Keep in mind this is if the leg goes out sideways, i dont know if it would work for the front, back, or any other issues.

Back
Top Bottom