Newly hatched chick with leg troubles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fduncan, Mar 9, 2013.

1. fduncan

fduncan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Northwest Colorado
    This little guy hatched late last night he wasn't really moving around by the time I went to bed but this morning he's on the go and I've discovered the poor little thing has a messed up leg . It juts out straight behind him .The leg does move and he uses it to scoot himself around ( that's what he's doing in the pic ). I had a case of this last year in some shipped eggs and ended up putting it down when I couldn't fix it I'd rather not do that again so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them . These were also shipped eggs is it possible rough handling caused this ? I had another deformed chick in this batch that died around 12 or so days . The rest of this batch of eggs haven't hatched yet . Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    It might be as lipped tendon. One of my poor chicks has it right now at a week old. You can try slipping the tendon back into place and taping the leg straight, ot making him a chick chair. We might take our chick to the vet, though, and see if they can do anything. Is your chick's hock swollen (knee area)? You want to correct this as soon as possible.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by