Newly hatched chick with yoke sac hanging off?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Hi everyone. This little tyke hatched about 30 minutes ago and I notice s/he seems to be dragging a little redish/orange pouch on its lower belly. It looks a touch smaller than my pinky nail. There are two other chicks currently hatched (they are just fine) and 16 still hanging out in their shells. What should I do? I tried getting a picture but the little one likes to hang out by the inside wall between the wall and the carton.

2. chickentooth

chickentooth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    That is not a problem right now, the body will continue to soak up nutrients from the sack and then it will dry and fall off. Only if it is still there in 24 hrs would i give it a slight pull to remove it. But even then it will eventually just fall off.

Just normal some detach quicker than others probably got out of the shell quicker than normal and so it still has the sac attached.

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Thanks. It's just a bit freaky. Finally got a pic of it, not the best but...

[​IMG]

4. chickentooth

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    The picture looks a bit odd, the bird looks really small. almost premature, how many days has it been incubating?

I have never seen a hatching set up like you have, the eggs should be on their side and also able to wobble around as needed. I can see that the others have cut out the right area for hatching but looks like they are going to have a very tough time if that carton is not letting them move a bit.

5. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I cut the bottom and a good chunk of the top off the cartons so the eggs can wobble. I was advised to hatch this way as the eggs were shipped and I have a lot of funky air cells. The chick is smaller than the others but today is day 21 so my best guess is that it's size is genetic . :/

I now have 3 other chicks roaming in there too but they look to have different parents (they are all yellow where the little one with the problem is almost black)

6. chickentooth

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    Well, I have the same advise as before, let it be it is not ideal but it will continue to soak up nutrients and so i wouldn't do anything except make sure he stays warm.

In the photo his legs look like they are still in the egg position is that accurate or has he/she been trying to walk?

7. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

Running around like mad for spurts then laying down and resting. The pic was taken about an hour after s/he hatched.

8. chickentooth

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    Okay, sounds like it is fine, Just let it be for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by