Newly hatched chick wont uncurl toes

sdmaria

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2016
San Diego
I'm still new to raising chickens. I've only hatched a dozen baby chicks. Today one hatched and it won't uncurl it's toes. Has anyone had this problem or is it not a problem at all and I'm just being paranoid? Informed advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.

They might uncurl as it rests and recovers from hatching. If not, you can put some shoes on it to straighten them out. Give it about a day and if the toes aren't uncurled put the shoes on.

"Shoes"? Do they make Forest Gump Magic Shoes for chickens, or is this something i have to MacGuyver? Also, is it ok to wait a day, or will that time solidify the problem? Thanks for replying.

Lol, sorry, should have explained. You'll need to make them, like this:

pies-6.jpg

When a chick is newly born, its bones haven't solidified yet. So you can put it in shoes that hold its toes in the proper position until the bones solidify and they are in the right position. It takes usually only a day to three days.

Time is of the essence - you don't want to wait too long and have the bones set. I'd give it at least a couple hours from hatching to see if it's going to be okay before doing the shoes. A day would probably be fine too, you just don't want to leave it too long.

Whew! Im new to chickens and chicken people, so after i sent my initial reply to, i was suddenly worrying that my peculiar sense of humor wouldve offended u. So glad it did not. And seriously, thanx for replying. Can u tell me what those shoes in the picture r made from? It looks like bandaids maybe, but if so, do i really just stick bandaids on its feet directly? Wontvthat hurt the skin? & is there a trick to removing it afterwards?

Those are bandaids in the picture, but vet wrap can be used too. It only sticks to itself, so it's nice in that regard. If you do use bandaids, it won't hurt them any more than it hurts us to take them off. A bit uncomfortable, but better than not being able to walk, for sure.

Ugh!...DarkSider, wish u were here! Never knew holding a baby chicken down, to put shoes on it, could be so difficult. (Or maybe im just being a wimp about it?) It starts squirming and chirping, and i dont want to hurt it. Do u have any tips, pointers, or any cautionary notes that may help me put its magic shoes on?

Back
Top Bottom