Newly hatched chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gabrielle1976, Mar 27, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I had a single chick hatch at about 10pm last night. So far I did dip her little beak in water a tiny bit <I was afraid she would inhale it or soemthing> but she shows no interest in it at all , she pecks at the food occasionally but more in passing then as a food interst, when should I worry about her not eating or drinking. Especally drinking dont want her to get dehydrated.
    Its the baby chick in my avatar photo , I think she is a RIR

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I wouldn't worry at all, just keep her warm and offer water and food as you are now and everything will be fine.

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] glad you got a hatch [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I wouldn't worry too much just yet. They can survive for up to (I believe 72 hrs) without food or water. That's how they are able to be shipped. I would dip her beak again tommorrow and see how she does. Are there other chicks with her? They learn by example sometimes. [​IMG]

5. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    No she is by herself , I had two cracked eggs that I used to test my home made bator with , one was clear never grew anything and this one hatched. I have 14 more in my hatcher now and they are due monday night so I hope I can put her with them when they get all fluffed out so she wont be lonely, I am tempted to go to the feed store and buy her a friend but she is really little and there day old chicks are about a week old down there unless they get a new shipment tammrow. Do you think she would be ok till monday night /tuesday morning ish .. She has a teddy in there with her she snuggles .

Oh and tonight I put her in a cat kennle so I could put her in my room and the cat coudnt get her she was in a rubber made bucket in my sons room but he dosnt like me closeing his door and other wise the cat could sneak in there. She has been protesting VERY VERY LOUDLY about this move , do you think she will calm down soon ?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  6. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Its been 37 + hours now and she still dosnt want to drink , she nibbles the starter but dosnt eat it just drops it back down. Im still good right for another day?

7. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

tough to say with her by herself - you don't have any other chick to compare her behavior to. I am assuming that you have a heat lamp on her and are keeping her warm? Like - at 95 -100 degrees? And that the water is in a very shallow bowl or a chick waterer, and the starter food is either on the floor of her cage or in a shallow chick feeder?

The peeping loudly has me a bit concerned - that could mean that she is not at the right temperature..if she is really small, you might try crushing up some of the starter - some little chicks find the small lumps a bit large and the "dust" entices them....

good luck!!

8. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    she is in a small/medium cat kennle with staw on the floor a teddy bear , chick watter and chick feeddish. i used my digital therm from my incubator to check the temps , over closer to the light its 102 but in the middle its about 85 and at the door its about 70 so I would assume all she has to do is get closer or farther away. I got her to eat a few pieces of starter when I got her out to play, and I got her to take one drop off my finger, I dipped my finger in the water and held it up and she pecked at the sparkly drip . She seems to be standing tall and is fully fluffed out now she even has a few pin feathers on her wings already < that was really fast> . How often should I go get her out and try to show her the food and water.? I have 2 times already today its almost 1 here now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by