newly hatched chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Charlen Blasengame, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Charlen Blasengame

Charlen Blasengame New Egg

Dec 14, 2009
    have newly hatched chick and is in fetal position with a little blood on his tummy.over 5 hours since he's hatched and eyes still closed.he's chirping alot but still not up and walking.What could be the problem?

2. Maddie17

Maddie17 New Egg

Jul 22, 2014
    I have this problem in one of our chicks too! Can't find anything about it...

3. GardenWren

GardenWren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Manchester, TN
    I just had a chick hatch about 30 minutes ago that is doing the same thing. Not sure why. This is a first, and I've hatched many chicks in my day. Any suggestions? I'm stumped.

4. Junibutt

Junibutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Chicago
    Same situation with me. Did the chick survive?

5. GardenWren

GardenWren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Manchester, TN
    Sorry for the delayed response, we've had our hands tee totally full with all the new babies, both ordered and those we hatched.
    To answer your question, no, it didn't make it, unfortunately. The egg was from one of our older hen's, so I'm about positive that played a role in its failure to thrive and we have since retired her as a breeder and now just enjoy her as a pet/yard candy. The poor little thing never even tried it right itself, even after several failed attempts at helping it do so. How did things turn out with yours?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by