Newly hatched chicken

DKMen

Hatching
Sep 21, 2020
Hi I have a baby that hatched 22 hours ago and it is not drying and fluffing up. What can I do for it.

JaeG

Crossing the Road
Sep 29, 2014
New Zealand
Is it still in the incubator or under the heatlamp? Sometimes the humidity in the incubator prevents the chick from drying out properly, but it's fine to put it under a heatlamp/brooder plate to finish drying off as long as the heat source is warm enough.

If there was still a bit of excess moisture in the egg you can end up with what's known as a 'sticky chick'. If that is the case then you'll need to give it a gentle sponge bath with warm water and if you can gently blow dry it, or towel dry it and make sure it's toasty under the heat lamp to dry off.

ConnieA

Songster
5 Years
Mar 9, 2015
Or, after gently washing the stickiness out of the fluff, wrap your chickie in a soft dry washcloth, hold it against your chest, (think, warm & heart beat), and settle down to watch TV or read til the baby dries and fluffs out.

Double effect: dry and fluffy for chick, lower blood pressure for you!

DKMen

Hatching
Sep 21, 2020
Is it still in the incubator or under the heatlamp? Sometimes the humidity in the incubator prevents the chick from drying out properly, but it's fine to put it under a heatlamp/brooder plate to finish drying off as long as the heat source is warm enough.

If there was still a bit of excess moisture in the egg you can end up with what's known as a 'sticky chick'. If that is the case then you'll need to give it a gentle sponge bath with warm water and if you can gently blow dry it, or towel dry it and make sure it's toasty under the heat lamp to dry off.
I took it out of the incubator and wrapped it in a towel and blew on it until it dried. I then put it under the heat lamp and it died. Thank you for your responses.

Top Bottom