Newly hatched chicks all dying!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kalaharichook, Sep 13, 2016.

1. kalaharichook

kalaharichook Just Hatched

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have been keeping chickens for over a year. My ladies were always just for eggs unroll I acquired a Silkie rooster. He had been living with my Silkie hen and a small white hen.the little white hen successfully hatched one chick some months ago and the chick is now quite large. I them out the Silkie in with her again and she sat on a clutch of 10, of which four hatched two days ago. They were doing fine following mum around,but when I went out the next morning I found all four chicks scattered around,looking very dead.on closer inspection,one had died,the other three were still moving their beaks occasionally. I brought them in a put them on a warm water bottle and gradually they came round. I decided to keep them indoors,they were all active,eating,drinking and pooping. But late last night one started to become very lethargic.it died through the night. The other two seemed fine this morning,but then later on another one started up. The get really wobbly,and eventually fall down,peeping occasionally. At first I thought it may have over heated but taking it away from the heat didn't help. I was feeding them chick mash,and their water had a probiotic in it. The mother hen is showing no signs of illness,but I wonder if she knew there was something wrong with the chicks and that's why she didn't look after them?
    I have a video of one of the chicks struggling to stand.
    Any advice would be great,I'm so sad that this has happened,and for all my research I can't find a definite answer.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us but sorry it is under such sad circumstances. [​IMG] CTKen gave you the same advice I would have. Hope the folks in that forum have some great suggestions for you. Best of luck!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Lisa81

Lisa81 Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016
    Welcome and I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully someone here can help you with these chicks or what to do in the future so it doesn't happen again.

6. kalaharichook

Thanks for the welcome :)
    Yes,I hope this is a once off,my hen was such a good mum to her last chick,can't think what happened this time around!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Could you possibly get one of the newly dead chicks to the vet for a necropsy? Are the chicks, eating , drinking and pooping- before they die?

Have you checked them for "pasty butt," that's when poop blocks them and they can't pass any more. They need to have butt cleaned up and some Vaseline applied to hopefully prevent more blockage.

You can put "pasty butt" in the search box and articles will come up for you.

8. kalaharichook

No pasty butt,I check regularly,yup eating and drinking fine,then just start to go wobbly,let the can't control their coordination. In addition I have found and removed several ticks from them

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. So sorry for your losses... it's possible the mother simply rejected them (which hens sometimes do with no rhyme or reason) and the stress of being chilled was too much for them to handle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by